The push is beginning for mortgage relief in DC that could be passed on to renters.
The DC Building Industry Association (DCBIA) began sending out surveys today to gather data to help lobby for mortgage assistance legislation that would offer relief to building owners if that relief is passed on to residential and commercial tenants (specifically those that are nonprofits, SBE-eligible).
DCBIA's Liz DeBarros told UrbanTurf that while no legislation is currently in the works, DCBIA wants to be able to present data to the DC Council in the coming weeks. DeBarros said that they are looking at what is being proposed in other cities and states for ideas, and that the survey wants to see where people think they will be over the next week or two in being able to meet rent/tax obligations to gauge appetite for this type of legislation.
UrbanTurf will continue to monitor this issue.
UrbanTurf's Coverage of COVID-19
- From Virtual Open Houses to Focus Forums, How DC Brokerages are Maintaining Physical Distance
- Pandemic Puts DC Historic Review Applications On Hold
- One Title Company Implements Drive-Thru Closings
- How Coronavirus is Affecting Property Showings in the DC Area
- How Well is DC Doing at Social Distancing?
- Lyft To Donate Free Essential Rides
- Bank of America Allowing Borrowers to Defer Mortgage Payments
- A Look at 5 Housing Non-Profits in DC
- Van Ness Co-op Building Implements Strict COVID-19 Measures
- HUD, FHFA Suspend All Evictions, Foreclosures Through April
- Two Grocers and Mega Retailer Change Hours for Seniors
- DC Council Passes Sweeping COVID-19 Emergency Bill
This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/dcbia-lobbies-for-local-mortgage-relief-to-help-renters/16661.
Most Popular... This Week • Last 30 Days • Ever
The storied unit along P Street is now looking for a new owner.... read »
There are five projects in the works around Audi Field which could bring nearly thous... read »
The news anchor dropped the price for his sprawling DC home, but it still could set a... read »
DC is getting close to meeting Mayor Muriel Bowser's goal of producing 36,000 new ho... read »
The development pitched for the site of a Goodwill store in Arlington got the key app... read »
DC Real Estate Guides
Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market
We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Start browsing below!
Intro guides for first-time home buyers
Awesome and unusual real estate from across the DC Metro