Unique Spaces: Eco-Friendly Alley House Off H Street

by Fritz Hubig

Unique Spaces: Eco-Friendly Alley House Off H Street: Figure 1

UrbanTurf is premiering a new feature today called Unique Spaces where we take a look at "one-of-a-kind" properties in the DC area.

This week, we feature a custom home builder's hidden alley-house in the middle of the H Street district. The 1,500 square-foot property was a former livery stable that was completely renovated in 2006. The property includes three bedrooms, two bathrooms, 22-foot ceilings, a wood-burning stove, a steel reinforced three-car garage (formerly carriage stables), and an antique, yet highly functional kitchen.

Unique Spaces: Eco-Friendly Alley House Off H Street: Figure 2

The real story of this home are the unique and innovative details throughout the property. The shower is made from reclaimed darkroom equipment and includes a feature that allows you to set exact temperature of the water; the kitchen counter top is made from the wood from a lane at a bowling alley; and a giant “Rocket” sign displayed prominently on the main floor is from the dry cleaner that the home's owner used to own next door. These details all espouse the owner's philosophy of reusing building materials “as part of a greener process of development.”

Unique Spaces: Eco-Friendly Alley House Off H Street: Figure 3

See other articles related to: unique spaces, green real estate dc, dclofts

This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/unique_spaces_eco-friendly_alley_house_off_h_street/1272

1. Unique said at 2:16 pm on Wednesday September 2, 2009:
    Amazing. It looks like a suped-up log cabin!
  1. Jean said at 5:39 pm on Wednesday September 2, 2009:
    I like this new kind of posting. Looking forward to the next one..
  1. Patrick said at 10:42 pm on Wednesday September 2, 2009:
    Great idea for a serial post. And man do I wish I had $750K to snag this place.
  1. Kim said at 4:40 pm on Thursday September 3, 2009:
    I've been inside. It's even better in person. The builder is creative and thinks outside the quadrilateral!! Great urban escape.
  1. Camille said at 5:06 pm on Thursday September 3, 2009:
    Wow. I am jealous! Looks like a movie set.
  1. Lauren said at 3:55 pm on Friday September 4, 2009:
    I agree that this looks like a really great, creative space. It kindof has the feel of a cool neighborhood coffee shop, or an apartment you'd see in NYC. Even if I had the money, I don't think I could buy it because I'd be afraid my furniture and decorating skills wouldn't do it justice!
  1. A-lo said at 4:19 pm on Tuesday September 8, 2009:
    Wow! Amazing home. Great new feature. I'm tired of seeing the same cherry wood cabinets and boring steel appliances.
  1. Patrick said at 5:40 pm on Thursday September 17, 2009:
    Fritz, are you actually doing these once a week? This is the only "unique" post I've seen here, but I like the idea and look forward to more. Thanks.
  1. elizabeth stokes said at 2:31 pm on Wednesday September 23, 2009:
    Is this alley house on H Street. S. E.?
  1. Fritz Hubig said at 11:17 pm on Wednesday September 23, 2009:
    Hey Guys, Thanks for all the positive input! I absolutely look forward to making this a weekly column starting in the next next month or two, but now it has to be biweekly so I can focus on a few key real estate deals...I think we all can agree that we need to evolve past cherry wood cabinets and steel...I have some some amazing undercover cool places to show you over the next next few months! Please contact me directly with any specific questions.