UrbanTurf Reader Asks: How Do You Legally Rent Out a Second Bedroom?

  • Oct 4th 2011

by UrbanTurf Staff

UrbanTurf Reader Asks: How Do You Legally Rent Out a Second Bedroom?: Figure 1

In this installment of UrbanTurf Reader Asks, a reader interested in renting out the second bedroom of his home inquires to see if he needs a license or certificate in order to do so legally.

I own a two-bedroom unit and recently started thinking about renting out the second bedroom (it has been used as an office for a few years). I know that a Certificate of Occupancy is needed to legally rent out an English basement or lower-level unit that is part of a house, but if I am renting out just a second bedroom, is there a specific license that I need or process that I have to go through in order for it to be "legit"?

Post your neighborhood suggestions in the comments section. If you would like to submit a question for UrbanTurf Reader Asks, send an email to editor2011@urbanturf.com.

See other articles related to: amateur landlord, dclofts, urbanturf reader asks

This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/urbanturf_reader_asks_how_do_you_legally_rent_out_a_second_bedroom/4285.

DC Real Estate Guides

Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market

We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Visit guides.urbanturf.com or start browsing below!