The May housing market in the DC region was one of the wilder on record due to the roller coaster effect that COVID-19 is having on the market. The market is now characterized by record home prices, a dearth of homes for sale and buyer demand that is approaching pre-pandemic levels.
Below, UrbanTurf plucked out a few of the more telling statistics from May.
- $500,000 -- The median home price in the DC region in May, the second highest level on record for the region.
- $660,000 -- The median home price for DC in May, the highest on record for the city.
- 15 -- The number of neighborhoods in DC where the median home price exceeded $1 million in May.
- 33% -- The drop in new listings on the market in the DC region in May 2020 compared to May 2019.
- 1.37 -- The months of supply of active listings in May, a 32 percent year-over-year drop.
- 33.7% -- The rise in pending sales between April and May 2020. Pending sales fell 20% year-over-year, however.
- 9 -- The median number of days that home spent on the market in the region in May.
Thumbnail image is a home that sold on Capitol Hill in May.
This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/the-crazy-dc-housing-market-in-may-by-the-numbers/16955.
Most Popular... This Week • Last 30 Days • Ever
There are two new proposals to redevelop the center at 14th and U Streets NW that are... read »
Dupont Circle’s Swann House, a former 15-bedroom bed and breakfast, will be listed ... read »
A recent build in Anacostia made history as the first code-compliant bamboo building ... read »
The recently-filed amendment would help move redevelopment of a police and fire stati... read »
A recent filing with DC indicates that a large new residential development in Glover ... read »
UrbanTurf has compiled virtual looks at large new developments around the DC region.... read »
Why condo fees are high in some buildings and low in others can be a difficult questi... read »
Post Brothers has plans in the works to convert the Universal buildings into a sprawl... read »
The two-building project will include approximately 825 residential units, 151 lodgin... read »
The M Street building was built in the early 1980s.... read »
With this weekend's DC houseboat tour a day away, UrbanTurf thought it only fitting t... read »
President Obama travels to Denver this morning to sign the stimulus bill that has bee... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader wonders if there is a rule for h... read »
As The Wharf prepares to begin construction, DC's houseboat community heads to its ne... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader asks a fairly common question th... read »
DC Real Estate Guides
Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market
We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Visit guides.urbanturf.com or start browsing below!
Intro guides for first-time home buyers
Awesome and unusual real estate from across the DC Metro