The May housing market in the DC region was one of the wilder on record due to the roller coaster effect that COVID-19 is having on the market. The market is now characterized by record home prices, a dearth of homes for sale and buyer demand that is approaching pre-pandemic levels.
Below, UrbanTurf plucked out a few of the more telling statistics from May.
- $500,000 -- The median home price in the DC region in May, the second highest level on record for the region.
- $660,000 -- The median home price for DC in May, the highest on record for the city.
- 15 -- The number of neighborhoods in DC where the median home price exceeded $1 million in May.
- 33% -- The drop in new listings on the market in the DC region in May 2020 compared to May 2019.
- 1.37 -- The months of supply of active listings in May, a 32 percent year-over-year drop.
- 33.7% -- The rise in pending sales between April and May 2020. Pending sales fell 20% year-over-year, however.
- 9 -- The median number of days that home spent on the market in the region in May.
Thumbnail image is a home that sold on Capitol Hill in May.
This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/the-crazy-dc-housing-market-in-may-by-the-numbers/16955.
Most Popular... This Week • Last 30 Days • Ever
The listing will hit the market on Wednesday, according to the Washington Business Jo... read »
Here are some precautions to take before buying real estate with a buddy.... read »
The concept for the residential conversion of a prominently sited building in Dupont ... read »
About a month ago, UrbanTurf examined how condo and co-op prices were driving home pr... read »
Even though flipping is not as prevalent in the city as it used to be, there are sti... read »
With interest rates reaching their highest levels in 22 years, it is critically impor... read »
Just before the holiday, UrbanTurf is taking its semi-annual look at the neighborhood... read »
Plans have been filed with DC's Historic Preservation Office to convert the building ... read »
An application filed with DC this week signals the end is nigh for a McDonald's locat... read »
The change would allow for an 80-acre portion of DC's 272-acre Armed Forces Retiremen... read »
With this weekend's DC houseboat tour a day away, UrbanTurf thought it only fitting t... read »
President Obama travels to Denver this morning to sign the stimulus bill that has bee... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader wonders if there is a rule for h... read »
As The Wharf prepares to begin construction, DC's houseboat community heads to its ne... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader asks a fairly common question th... read »
DC Real Estate Guides
Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market
We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Start browsing below!
Intro guides for first-time home buyers
Awesome and unusual real estate from across the DC Metro