The May housing market in the DC region was one of the wilder on record due to the roller coaster effect that COVID-19 is having on the market. The market is now characterized by record home prices, a dearth of homes for sale and buyer demand that is approaching pre-pandemic levels.
Below, UrbanTurf plucked out a few of the more telling statistics from May.
- $500,000 -- The median home price in the DC region in May, the second highest level on record for the region.
- $660,000 -- The median home price for DC in May, the highest on record for the city.
- 15 -- The number of neighborhoods in DC where the median home price exceeded $1 million in May.
- 33% -- The drop in new listings on the market in the DC region in May 2020 compared to May 2019.
- 1.37 -- The months of supply of active listings in May, a 32 percent year-over-year drop.
- 33.7% -- The rise in pending sales between April and May 2020. Pending sales fell 20% year-over-year, however.
- 9 -- The median number of days that home spent on the market in the region in May.
Thumbnail image is a home that sold on Capitol Hill in May.
This article originally published at http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/the-crazy-dc-housing-market-in-may-by-the-numbers/16955
Most Popular... This Week • Last 30 Days • Ever
After a slew of developments delivered in Ballston last year, — totaling over 1,000... read »
The planned 8-unit development would be located on K Street right along the Potomac R... read »
Loan recasting is a growing practice- so what is it?... read »
The project would replace a concrete plant and would deliver the neighborhood's first... read »
The next phase on the Center Block would deliver 166 apartments and 221 hotel rooms.... read »
UrbanTurf has compiled virtual looks at large new developments around the DC region.... read »
The preferred mortgage product among most home buyers is the fixed-rate mortgage. How... read »
STAY DC provides rental aid and utility payment grants to at-risk District residents ... read »
Federal Realty plans to eventually file a planned unit development application for th... read »
The project would also deliver new office space for the fraternity, which has been at... read »
With this weekend's DC houseboat tour a day away, UrbanTurf thought it only fitting t... read »
President Obama travels to Denver this morning to sign the stimulus bill that has bee... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader wonders if there is a rule for h... read »
As The Wharf prepares to begin construction, DC's houseboat community heads to its ne... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader asks a fairly common question th... read »
DC Real Estate Guides
Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market
We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Visit guides.urbanturf.com or start browsing below!
Intro guides for first-time home buyers
Awesome and unusual real estate from across the DC Metro