A Look at Eastbanc’s 8-Unit Project on the Edge of Georgetown

A Look at Eastbanc's 8-Unit Project on the Edge of Georgetown: Figure 1
Rendering of the planned project at 2715 Pennsylvania Avenue NW.

Welcome to UrbanTurf’s Property Week, a week-long series devoted to some of the most intriguing residential properties in the DC area and beyond. From a train station-turned-brothel-turned home to a clever way of making 140 square feet livable, this week is all about cool residences. Enjoy.

Longtime Georgetown developer Eastbanc will construct eight, large residential units and a restaurant on the site of a gas station at 2715 Pennsylvania Avenue NW (map). Renderings of the planned project were filled with the Zoning Commission late Friday.

A Look at Eastbanc's 8-Unit Project on the Edge of Georgetown: Figure 2
A rendering of the restaurant at the planned development.

The restaurant will be located on the cellar and ground floor of the new development, and there will be four levels of residential units above the eatery. The residences will average approximately 2,000 square feet. The penthouse level will have a gym and a small terrace.

The project is designed by Eduardo Souta de Moura, who won the Pritzker Architecture Prize in 2011. At the time the head of the prize’s jury, Peter Palumbo, said de Moura’s buildings “have a unique ability to convey seemingly conflicting characteristics—power and modesty, bravado and subtlety, bold public authority and a sense of intimacy—at the same time.”

More renderings of the project below.

A Look at Eastbanc's 8-Unit Project on the Edge of Georgetown: Figure 3

A Look at Eastbanc's 8-Unit Project on the Edge of Georgetown: Figure 4

A Look at Eastbanc's 8-Unit Project on the Edge of Georgetown: Figure 5

2715 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

See other articles related to: georgetown condos, georgetown, eastbanc

This article originally published at http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/a_look_at_eastbancs_8-unit_project_on_the_edge_of_georgetown/10205

1. Brett said at 3:29 pm on Monday August 3, 2015:
    This monstrosity doesn't stand a chance at approval by the Zoning Commission. I don't think this or any other Eduardo Souta de Moura design is good, but I guess if you win the Pritzker prize you get hired despite your hideous portfolio.
  1. Makeba-The-Architect said at 10:06 pm on Monday August 3, 2015:
    Off the top- I commend it . To reach out to international designers to bring a different viewpoint. I need to see more. The renderings are good but this particular site is prominent. Hmmm...on the fence so far. I wish I could take a crack at this lot. I won't downplay someone else's concept , ever. I'll wait to see the plans and by then, it will grown on me probably . wee.gaineskelly.com
  1. Jay said at 11:50 pm on Monday August 3, 2015:
    No, no, NOOOOOOOO! Uggggggh. This is an awful flashback to the 70's. Please don't say it is cutting edge and cool. It is a dated look. I'm all for retro but more so with music and fashion and not architecture. Well unless it is retro back to the turn of the century.
  1. Loganite said at 1:43 am on Tuesday August 4, 2015:
    I thought at first it was a prank. What is the style? Neo-Brutalist? In Georgetown? Seems more fitting for L'Enfant. Will follow this story with interest.
  1. EckingtonNEDC said at 5:32 pm on Tuesday August 4, 2015:
    Jay, I too was thinking this brick, block and angled style harkens back to the 70's. I think it's the all brick facade.
  1. Nathaniel Martin said at 4:24 pm on Tuesday August 18, 2015:
    As an avid modernist, I have long been eager to see more inventive, progressive design throughout Washington, including in historic neighborhoods like Georgetown. But this project is HORRIBLE. Really. It looks like a suburban medical office building from 1976. Just awful. Please make it go away.
  1. Marco said at 5:13 pm on Tuesday August 25, 2015:
    I like it! Brick ages very well, and the modern/70's design is a plus. The building understands the city, using a traditional material blended with modern look (also commom in Washington) but without being "brutalism". The site is located in between West End and Georgetown, and this project makes a good transition. This building would fit perfectly also in Switzerland and Germany.