UT Reader Asks: What Are the Best Interior Decorating Websites?

UT Reader Asks: What Are the Best Interior Decorating Websites?: Figure 1

In this installment of UrbanTurf Reader Asks, a reader who recently purchased a condo asks UT readers for their recommendations of the best websites for advice on how to decorate a new home.

I recently purchased my first home, a two-bedroom condo in the U Street Corridor. I don’t have enough money left over to hire an interior decorator (and I am excited to decorate the home on my own), so I am looking around the internet to find some inspiration for how to decorate my new place.

Does anyone have any favorite websites that they regularly turn to for decorating advice, etc.?

Readers, what do you think? Post your thoughts in the comments section. If you would like to submit a question for UrbanTurf Reader Asks, send an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

See other articles related to: urbanturf reader asks, interior design

This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/ut_reader_asks_what_are_the_best_interior_decorating_websites/8375

1. CP said at 8:52 pm on Thursday April 17, 2014:
    I'm a big fan of Contemporist and also Pinterest has become interior design heaven for fanatics out there, so there are a slew of boards that cater to various design aesthetics.
  1. Longtime MPer said at 8:53 pm on Thursday April 17, 2014:
    ApartmentTherapy has become all house tours, at least in DC, but it remains a good place to go for design and layout ideas.
  1. anonypants said at 9:51 pm on Thursday April 17, 2014:
    I don't find decorating sites very helpful, because they're usually focused on homes with McMansion dimensions. I've actually gotten some of my best ideas from local real estate listings.
  1. SL said at 10:15 pm on Thursday April 17, 2014:
    I like Making it Lovely, http://makingitlovely.com/
  1. JT said at 10:22 pm on Thursday April 17, 2014:
    I made 3-D renderings from overhead designs of all the major rooms of my house to experiment with furniture placement, future renovations, and decorations (although the stock of 3D items is a bit limited) on RoomStyler.com
  1. Mark said at 2:33 pm on Friday April 18, 2014:
    Here are some options if you cannot afford an interior decorator or want to DIY: 1) Hire an interior design student looking to build their portfolio. They will charge you essentially nothing in exchange for the experience. 2) When you purchase furniture, most companies offer their design services for free. They will at least give you an idea of what you can do with certain pieces and it still gives you the freedom to make your own decisions. 3) Go to Houzz.com and get lost. Ask questions if you find something you really like.
  1. alex said at 4:13 pm on Friday April 18, 2014:
    second on houzz their ipad app is pretty solid also
  1. David said at 4:51 pm on Friday April 18, 2014:
    Houzz is definitely a great site with plenty of ideas from traditional to contemporary