UT Reader Asks: Looking For the Ideal Live-Work Property

In this week’s installment of UrbanTurf Reader Asks, a couple looking for a live-work space in DC (or the close-in suburbs) calls on the UrbanTurf audience for possible options.

My wife and I are ready to downsize from our home in Virginia and move into DC (or at least move in closer to the city). I have a small communications firm and our Connecticut Avenue office lease recently expired, leaving us in a temporary space. I am interested in finding a property that can serve as both our home and my firm's office.

For living, my wife and I need around 2,000 square feet; the work space, preferably one large room, needs be no larger than 1,000 square feet. In a properly zoned property, we would consider combining the two spaces, but don't want to do much renovating.

We are very flexible in regards to location and see this move in a very perfunctory way. We don’t necessarily have to be right in DC and something on the immediate periphery, like Clarendon, would be fine. Any ideas as to possible properties that fit this description would be welcome!

Post your ideas for properties that might fit the bill in the comments section. If you would like to submit a question for UrbanTurf Reader Asks, send an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Photo courtesy of Dwell magazine.

See other articles related to: urbanturf reader asks, live-work space, dclofts

This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/ut_reader_asks_looking_for_the_ideal_live-work_property/5241

1. Nikki Zook, Keller Williams Capital Properties said at 2:54 pm on Thursday March 8, 2012:
  1. bellow said at 6:17 pm on Wednesday March 7, 2012:
    Finding legit live-work spaces in DC is not very easy. There was one in Brookland that UrbanTurf featured last year, I think, and I imagine there are lofts or big open spaces around town that could fit the bill, but I haven't seen any listed recently. Hopefully you’ll get some recommedations. Good luck.
  1. dave said at 6:33 pm on Wednesday March 7, 2012:
    Zoning makes it tough. There aren't that many properties on the market zoned for residential and commercial use.
  1. Susan Isaacs, Realtor said at 7:10 pm on Wednesday March 7, 2012:
    I highly recommend working with a Realtor with knowledge of live/work spaces, those designated for artists vs business, etc. There are a number of options but as the previous comment stated, not easy for the layperson to find and your agent will have to stay on top of the search. What part of VA are you located in now?
  1. mona said at 7:13 pm on Wednesday March 7, 2012:
    First thing is to figure out what type of zone property you can use as part commercial part residential. I would assume it would be something like you see a lot of the corner store are zoned for because they usually have apartment/apartments above them. Here is a link to DC's zoning types http://dcoz.dc.gov/info/districts.shtm
  1. Peter said at 7:20 pm on Wednesday March 7, 2012:
    Check out the Del Ray Lofts in Alexandria. They're dual-zoned with ground floor retail and living quarters upstairs. There's also a condo building in Rosslyn at 1800 Wilson Blvd. that offers the same option with some of their units.
  1. lex said at 7:52 pm on Wednesday March 7, 2012:
    I think Kennedy street has some of the zoning that you would need as does Georgia Ave. near the Petworth Metro. You could buy the old "Planet chocolate city" building...
  1. Sean said at 2:50 am on Thursday March 8, 2012:
    Hey, I am currently building a property in downtown Bethesda that could suit your needs. Its less than a mile from DC and in very close proximity of both the Bethesda and Friendship heights metro stations. If you would be interested in checking it out in the next week or so please shoot me an email at seansh86@gmail.com.
  1. Jason said at 6:37 pm on Thursday March 8, 2012:
    In South Arlington is Avalon Arlington Square. They offer large townhouse apartments above office space. Contact the manager for more details.