UrbanTurf Reader Asks: Do I Deserve Financial Compensation?

  • May 7th 2012

by UrbanTurf Staff

✉️ Want to forward this article? Click here.

UrbanTurf Reader Asks: Do I Deserve Financial Compensation?: Figure 1

In this installment of UrbanTurf Reader Asks, a reader who recently moved into a rental building in DC inquires if he is due financial compensation from the building owner as a result of the following mishap.

"A tenant on the floor above me committed some sort of user error responsible for flooding four neighbors (I am one of them). Within days of moving in, my ceilings are leaking and carpet is soaked. My stuff is all moved around, they have to repaint the ceilings (in the living room and bedroom), they tore out parts of my carpet (which need to be replaced), and there are three big air movers and a huge dehumidifier running in may apartment now that make tons of noise and I'm certain are going to ratchet up my electricity bill.

This incident is not my fault, it's miserable (I'm working from home, as well -- and they offered me the guest suite, but my massive desktop, coffee maker, etc are here), and I went and slept elsewhere last night. I believe I deserve a pro-rated rent deduction and an electricity bill credit. What say the UrbanTurf audience?"

Post your thoughts in the comments section. If you would like to submit a question for UrbanTurf Reader Asks, send an email to editor2011@urbanturf.com.

See other articles related to: apartment flooding, renting, urbanturf reader asks

This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/urbanturf_reader_asks_do_i_deserve_financial_compensation/5504.

DC Real Estate Guides

Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market

We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Start browsing below!