UrbanTurf Reader Asks: Best Condo Front Desks, Please

UrbanTurf Reader Asks: Best Condo Front Desks, Please: Figure 1

In this installment of UrbanTurf Reader Asks, a DC condo buyer is running into difficulty finding newer condo buildings that offer front desks/concierge services, and is looking for recommendations.

I have been looking for several years for a two-bedroom condo with a front desk/concierge. I am not looking for a high-end unit or building, can spend $555,000 to maybe $600,000, and want to be in the District or very close in.

I am interested in a front desk primarily for the security it inherently (albeit not always) provides and secondarily for the service, but also think that it is crucial for buyers who travel for their jobs, work long hours and come and go at all hours of the night. I have found it difficult to identify buildings in DC with this option, and was hoping that UrbanTurf readers could provide a few options. Are any of the new condo projects offering front desks? I realize that a number of the older co-op buildings in DC have front desks, but they have not done much to modernize their decor and look like the lobby equivalent of Miss Haversham, so I am not very interested in those. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Post your thoughts in the comments section. If you would like to submit a question for UrbanTurf Reader Asks, send an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

This article originally published at http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/urbanturf_reader_asks_best_condo_front_desks_please/3468

1. Janet Rushford said at 12:26 pm on Thursday May 12, 2011:
    The Gibson at 1140 23rd St NW New listing for 2BR/2BA coming soon.
  1. Denizen of Tenallytown said at 4:59 pm on Thursday May 12, 2011:
    Cityline at Tenley 4101 Albemarle St NW Great building and location 24/7 Concierge is Awesome
  1. Dan Maceda said at 1:23 pm on Wednesday May 11, 2011:
    I live at City Vista 5th & K NW. The concierge people are great . The building has a Safeway a bank, a terrific Ace Hardware with really good knowledgeable staff, Busboys and Poets, Taylor Gourmet, Kushi, and Mandu restaurants. A few blocks from Chinatown and about 5 blocks from two metro lines. A few blocks to the Verizon Center . It is in your price range.
  1. Susan Isaacs said at 10:24 pm on Wednesday May 11, 2011:
    Velocity in SW (gorgeous and new) Gallery Place (Penn Q) Metropole (Dupont/Logan) Quincy Court (Mt Vernon Triangle) 1010 Mass Sonata Madrigal ...and many more!
  1. Wes Grooms said at 10:54 pm on Tuesday May 10, 2011:
    ...if you aren't working with an agent, happy to help! wgrooms@cbmove.com 202-549-1779
  1. Olival said at 11:39 pm on Tuesday May 10, 2011:
    I love Tenley Hill, a PN Hoffman building in Tenleytown. They have a great concierge!
  1. Mony said at 5:07 am on Wednesday May 11, 2011:
    I believe 1441 Rhode Island in Logan has Front desk service and it is a newer building (maybe 6 years old). Though it has a Clarendon/Chinatown feel to it, I was under contract last year and would have pulled the trigger but lost my job during the condo contingency period.
  1. Molly said at 12:18 pm on Wednesday May 11, 2011:
    I'm at the Chastleton (16th and R, NW) and I love the convenience of the front door service. It's a co-op rather than a condo, though...
  1. lisa said at 9:52 pm on Tuesday May 10, 2011:
    It's a good question. the buildings that come to mind for me are all along columbia road in admo, but many of those are older co-ops. I wish I could be of more help, but i am sure other readers will have some ideas.
  1. df said at 10:04 pm on Tuesday May 10, 2011:
    I live in the Flats at Union Row at 2125 14th St NW (14th & V). I've been there about 3 months now and it's been great. 24 hour front desk with email notifications about packages, service requests, someone picking up/dropping off your courtesy key, etc. There is currently a 2 BR/2 BA with parking and storage listed for $579K.
  1. Gwen said at 10:26 pm on Tuesday May 10, 2011:
    We are out in Bailey's Crossroads, but we have a great front desk - though our guests do say it's like Fort Knox to get in, we appreciate the security. They were GREAT when we got married and had gifts coming in for weeks.
  1. Wes Grooms said at 10:52 pm on Tuesday May 10, 2011:
    Not inclusive by any stretch... PENN QUARTER/CHINATOWN/MT VERNON TRIANGLE: Lafayette 631 D St NW Clara Barton 616 E St NW Artisan 915 E St NW Market Square 701 & 801 Pennsylvania Ave NW 400 Mass Ave (same address as bldg name) Gallery Place 777 7th St NW Sonata 301 Mass Ave NW Madrigal 800 4th St NW City Vista 475 K & 440 L St NW CAPITOL HILL Lincoln Park Terrace 401 13th St NE Jenkins Row 1300 block of Potomac Ave SE U STREET: Flats at Union Row 2125 14th St NW Lincoln Condo 2001 12th St NW WEST END: The Gibson (1100 block of 23rd I think...) ...plenty of others...newer buildings more likely than older ones. Good luck!
  1. G'town wannabe said at 8:46 pm on Tuesday June 21, 2011:
    I live part-time at the Atlas Condominium (1111 25th Street, NW between L & M street) and it's been a dream. New building, modern decor in a safe part of DC's west end, few blocks from Foggy Bottom metro, next to a Trader Joe and adjacent to the first class neighborhood of Georgetown, without the price tag. Building has an electronically secured front door with friendly, 24/7 front desk staff and concierge services. Also available are assigned private underground parking, key in DC.