This Week’s Find: Indoor/Outdoor Loft Living on Church Street

by Lark Turner

This Week's Find: Indoor/Outdoor Loft Living on Church Street: Figure 1

If you were putting up a building in Logan Circle, how would you design your own apartment? The developer of Lofts 14 on Church Street built himself a wide-open indoor/outdoor space when the building was constructed in 2005, and the unit, which has changed hands since, will hit the market this week. UrbanTurf got a sneak peek inside.

The home's 1,800 square feet of interior space is mostly dedicated to a wide-open living room, kitchen and dining room. In keeping with the building's loft-style design, stained concrete floors and exposed ductwork frame the space. High ceilings and big interior openings lend light to the master and guest bedrooms — and offer a view onto the living space and outdoor area below.

This Week's Find: Indoor/Outdoor Loft Living on Church Street: Figure 2

Multiple doors lead out to the massive 1,400 square foot patio, where a small pool, bar, grill area and fire pit await. It was the outdoor space that sold the current owner on the home.

"I've never seen a private pool in a downtown condo, particularly in Logan Circle," he said. "For me, that was really exciting in terms of being able to relax on the weekends and lie in the sun."

This Week's Find: Indoor/Outdoor Loft Living on Church Street: Figure 3

* Address: 1401 Church Street NW, #214 (map) * Price: $2.2 million * Bedrooms: Two plus den * Bathrooms: Two * Square Footage: 1,793 inside, 1,400 outside * Monthly Fees: $885 * Listing Agent: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

This Week's Find: Indoor/Outdoor Loft Living on Church Street: Figure 4

This Week's Find: Indoor/Outdoor Loft Living on Church Street: Figure 5

This Week's Find: Indoor/Outdoor Loft Living on Church Street: Figure 6

This Week's Find: Indoor/Outdoor Loft Living on Church Street: Figure 7

Photos courtesy Sean Shanahan

See other articles related to: logan circle, lofts, church street dc, church street

This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/this_weeks_find_indoor_outdoor_loft_living_on_church_street/7994

1. LP said at 8:39 pm on Tuesday January 14, 2014:
    So the most unique feature about this property, the pool, isn't displayed in any of the photos? Not the best approach to a sneak peak to drum up interest.
  1. Lark Turner said at 10:12 pm on Tuesday January 14, 2014:
    Hi LP, Thanks for your comment. The pool wasn't intended to be the focal point of our look at the property. You can check out a picture of it here (#26): http://tour.homevisit.com/view/72819 Lark Turner
  1. mj said at 5:04 am on Wednesday January 15, 2014:
    Gorgeous space. Perhaps an ambitious price, but considering the absurdly over priced million dollar basements in Dupont at 20th and R and 17th and Q, it looks like a bargain.
  1. SW, DC said at 2:49 pm on Wednesday January 15, 2014:
    The outdoor space pictured belongs solely to the owner of the condo? But it appears it is on the ground level. So everyone above can look down into your private space? I know that's how it works in a lot of other buildings, but for 2.2 million I'd like a tiny bit of privacy. And on the reverse, I'd hate to look down at someone having fun in a pool all summer while I just have a tiny Juliet balcony that I can only fit one foot on at a time... But that's life...
  1. LP said at 5:11 pm on Wednesday January 15, 2014:
    Thanks, Lark - the comprehensive photos are gorgeous. SW - Based on the photos and unit # (218) it seems like it's on the second floor. I think it's just the angle of the photos that makes it look ground level.
  1. CD said at 5:51 pm on Wednesday January 15, 2014:
    <i>Based on the photos and unit # (218) it seems like it’s on the second floor.</i> Doesn't really matter...you'd still have a multitude of windows looking down on you.
  1. Andi said at 6:06 pm on Wednesday January 15, 2014:
    I live in a house and most of my neighbors can see into my back yard from their 2nd/3rd stories. You can create some privacy with plants/trees and awnings/shade coverings/umbrellas. The only way for total privacy is to move the 'burbs.
  1. LP said at 7:36 pm on Wednesday January 15, 2014:
    CD - I was only addressing the posters comment that it was on the ground level; by no means saying it was private.
  1. Chip Newell said at 8:29 pm on Thursday January 16, 2014:
    It was great to come upon these photos as I was the developer of Lofts 14 and this was my unit. We regretted not living in it long, but moved to Maine where we are now building a 12 unit condo building, 118 on Munjoy Hill. We hope to sell top floor, three bedroom plus den, 2200 square foot units with views from Casco Bay to the White Mountains for about $1.1 million - a truly different market. All the best to the next owner of this marvelous home.
  1. mj said at 3:15 am on Tuesday January 21, 2014:
    I think some creative privacy sail type awnings would help with privacy, but I think the 2.2 million dollar buyer in Logan wants a penthouse. On the flip side, I'd hate to live above it, if the owners threw a lot of parties and didn't invite me! Nonethless, one of the nicest units on the market in the city--kudos to the developer.