The DC-area for-sale housing market has been relatively resilient despite the economic impacts of the pandemic, so we were curious as to how the new condo market is faring.
A new report by condo sales and marketing firm McWilliams|Ballard zeroes in on how this year's market is faring. Below, UrbanTurf picks out some of the more interesting data points from the report.
- 8% — The year-over-year drop in new condo sales in the DC region between the first half of 2019 and the first half of 2020.
- 3% — The drop in new condo sales in DC proper; the 656 sales in the city account for 51% of the new condos sold areawide in 2020.
- 0.4% — The expected 2020 year-end increase above the 10-year average for new condo sales areawide.
- 50% — The approximate decrease in sales and traffic for new condos in the McWilliams|Ballard portfolio between March and April.
- 109% — The increase in sales of new condos in the McWilliams|Ballard portfolio between May and June.
- 60% — The year-over-year increase in new condo sales in Arlington County, which had the most year-over-year growth in this sector of the market.
- 67% — The year-over-year drop in new condo sales in Prince George's County, which had the greatest year-over-year decline in this sector of the market due to lack of supply.
- 2.9 years — The new condo supply areawide that is currently in the pipeline and hasn't begun sales yet.
- 2,111 — The number of new condo units in the pipeline, not yet selling, in DC proper. Areawide, there are 7,355 new condo units in the pipeline.
Thumbnail rendering of 1625 Eckington.
This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/the-early-2020-dc-area-new-condo-market-by-the-numbers/17220.
Most Popular... This Week • Last 30 Days • Ever
The news anchor dropped the price for his sprawling DC home, but it still could set a... read »
There are five projects in the works around Audi Field which could bring nearly thous... read »
DC is getting close to meeting Mayor Muriel Bowser's goal of producing 36,000 new ho... read »
The development pitched for the site of a Goodwill store in Arlington got the key app... read »
Can $400 million revive downtown; can IKEA save the mall; and does it make sense to ... read »
DC Real Estate Guides
Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market
We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Start browsing below!
Intro guides for first-time home buyers
Awesome and unusual real estate from across the DC Metro