The DC-area for-sale housing market has been relatively resilient despite the economic impacts of the pandemic, so we were curious as to how the new condo market is faring.
A new report by condo sales and marketing firm McWilliams|Ballard zeroes in on how this year's market is faring. Below, UrbanTurf picks out some of the more interesting data points from the report.
- 8% — The year-over-year drop in new condo sales in the DC region between the first half of 2019 and the first half of 2020.
- 3% — The drop in new condo sales in DC proper; the 656 sales in the city account for 51% of the new condos sold areawide in 2020.
- 0.4% — The expected 2020 year-end increase above the 10-year average for new condo sales areawide.
- 50% — The approximate decrease in sales and traffic for new condos in the McWilliams|Ballard portfolio between March and April.
- 109% — The increase in sales of new condos in the McWilliams|Ballard portfolio between May and June.
- 60% — The year-over-year increase in new condo sales in Arlington County, which had the most year-over-year growth in this sector of the market.
- 67% — The year-over-year drop in new condo sales in Prince George's County, which had the greatest year-over-year decline in this sector of the market due to lack of supply.
- 2.9 years — The new condo supply areawide that is currently in the pipeline and hasn't begun sales yet.
- 2,111 — The number of new condo units in the pipeline, not yet selling, in DC proper. Areawide, there are 7,355 new condo units in the pipeline.
Thumbnail rendering of 1625 Eckington.
This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/the-early-2020-dc-area-new-condo-market-by-the-numbers/17220.
Most Popular... This Week • Last 30 Days • Ever
Why condo fees are high in some buildings and low in others can be a difficult questi... read »
When sellers haven't quite lined up their next house before their settlement date com... read »
In this edition of First-Timer Primer, we look into the question of how to determine ... read »
The preferred mortgage product among most home buyers is the fixed-rate mortgage. How... read »
Here's what you need to know about reporting profit made from the sale of your home.... read »
UrbanTurf has compiled virtual looks at large new developments around the DC region.... read »
Virginia's homebuyer assistance programs can seem complex. This edition of First-Time... read »
A recent transaction shows that the housing market isn't cooling off everywhere.... read »
Developer Akridge has released new images of their planned Burnham Place development ... read »
The new development will also have a nearly 20,000 square-foot public plaza.... read »
With this weekend's DC houseboat tour a day away, UrbanTurf thought it only fitting t... read »
President Obama travels to Denver this morning to sign the stimulus bill that has bee... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader wonders if there is a rule for h... read »
As The Wharf prepares to begin construction, DC's houseboat community heads to its ne... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader asks a fairly common question th... read »
DC Real Estate Guides
Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market
We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Visit guides.urbanturf.com or start browsing below!
Intro guides for first-time home buyers
Awesome and unusual real estate from across the DC Metro