January is normally a pretty slow month for the real estate market, but that wasn't the case this year.
An approximately one-month supply of homes for sale in the DC region in January did not dampen regional home prices, which reached a 10-year high for January, or home sales, which rose 8% compared to January 2019.
Below, UrbanTurf picked out a number of numbers and statistics from the January housing report from MarketStats by ShowingTime that illustrate the current climate of the market.
- 5,385 -- The number of active listings on the market in the region, down 15% compared to January 2019.
- 1.2 -- The months of supply of active homes for sale in January, down 21% from January 2019.
- $444,000 - The median home price for the region in January, the highest level for January in a decade.
- 40 -- The number of months in a row that home prices have gone up year-over-year in the DC region.
- 27% -- How much home sales rose in Montgomery County, year over year.
- 18% -- The increase in number of homes to go under contract in DC, compared to January 2019.
- 97.7% -- The average home sales to list price ratio in the DC area, the highest January level in a decade.
This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/the-dc-housing-market-in-january-by-the-numbers/16447.
Most Popular... This Week • Last 30 Days • Ever
The change would allow for an 80-acre portion of DC's 272-acre Armed Forces Retiremen... read »
The Capitol Hill home has been listed for sale that has a number of serious security ... read »
The listing will hit the market on Wednesday, according to the Washington Business Jo... read »
Today, UrbanTurf looks at what we think will be the metrics that will determine the d... read »
Located in the heart of Shaw, Intersect at O includes five elevator townhomes. The fi... read »
With interest rates reaching their highest levels in 22 years, it is critically impor... read »
The Church of the Epiphany has filed plans with the city to demolish the rear portion... read »
Just before the holiday, UrbanTurf is taking its semi-annual look at the neighborhood... read »
Plans have been filed with DC's Historic Preservation Office to convert the building ... read »
An application filed with DC this week signals the end is nigh for a McDonald's locat... read »
With this weekend's DC houseboat tour a day away, UrbanTurf thought it only fitting t... read »
President Obama travels to Denver this morning to sign the stimulus bill that has bee... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader wonders if there is a rule for h... read »
As The Wharf prepares to begin construction, DC's houseboat community heads to its ne... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader asks a fairly common question th... read »
DC Real Estate Guides
Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market
We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Start browsing below!
Intro guides for first-time home buyers
Awesome and unusual real estate from across the DC Metro