A Columbia Heights home that sold for more than $100K over list in May.
For this week’s Home Price Watch, we head up to Columbia Heights, where prices continue to rise and the pace of home sales makes the neighborhood one of the most active markets in the city.
As was the case last year, home price growth in Columbia Heights has slowed, though it’s certainly still happening. Our 2014 home price watch, which looked at the period of January-March 2014 as compared to that same period in 2013, showed median price gains of 15 percent. This year, home prices rose 7 percent.
Condo and co-op prices rose by 4 percent on average; three- and four-plus bedroom homes saw average price gains of 6 and 8.5 percent respectively. The market is likely tightest for four-plus bedroom rowhouses, which have an average sale price of $784,561 so far this year. That’s an especially competitive price range in DC’s market, as we noted in a story on escalation clauses last week.
A few other takeaways from the data:
- 167 homes have sold so far in Columbia Heights this year, making it one of the most active neighborhood markets in the city.
- 77 percent of the homes sold this year were purchased with conventional financing; only six homes were purchased using FHA.
- 45 percent of homes sold this year did so in the first ten days they were on the market.
UrbanTurf used data on the legal Columbia Heights subdivision from real estate data firm RealEstate Business Intelligence for this article.
- Home Price Watch: Cash is King in Georgetown
- Home Price Watch: The Increasingly Competitive Market in Bloomingdale
- $1 Million is the New Normal in Chevy Chase DC
- Home Price Watch: A 38 Percent Rise in Takoma Park
- Home Price Watch: Petworth, Where Prices Are Up 23 Percent
This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/home_price_watch_columbia_heights_where_prices_have_risen_7_percent/9949.
Most Popular... This Week • Last 30 Days • Ever
The storied unit along P Street is now looking for a new owner.... read »
There are five projects in the works around Audi Field which could bring nearly thous... read »
The news anchor dropped the price for his sprawling DC home, but it still could set a... read »
DC is getting close to meeting Mayor Muriel Bowser's goal of producing 36,000 new ho... read »
The development pitched for the site of a Goodwill store in Arlington got the key app... read »
DC Real Estate Guides
Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market
We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Start browsing below!
Intro guides for first-time home buyers
Awesome and unusual real estate from across the DC Metro