Last year's housing market in the DC area was wild for many reasons. Record prices, scarce inventory, and frequent bidding wars were just some of the main themes.
With 2021 in the rearview mirror, UrbanTurf breaks down a series of numbers that provide a picture of the market last year.
- 80,582 -- The number of homes that sold in the DC region in 2021, up 13.5% from 2020.
- $530,000 -- The median home price in the DC region in 2021, the highest price on record.
- $50.8 billion -- The total sales volume in the area, up 22% from 2020.
- 39,505 -- The number of homes that sold for above asking in the region last year.
- $48 million -- The sales price for the most expensive home sold in the region last year.
- $35,000 -- The sales price for the least expensive home sold in DC last year.
- 49% -- The percentage of homes that sold in 10 days or less in DC.
- 23% -- The percentage of homes that sold for more than $1 million in DC.
Data above was provided by Bright MLS.
Photo courtesy of HomeVisit.
This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/from-80000-sales-to-51-billion-the-dc-area-housing-market-in-2021/19145.
Most Popular... This Week • Last 30 Days • Ever
The change would allow for an 80-acre portion of DC's 272-acre Armed Forces Retiremen... read »
The Capitol Hill home has been listed for sale that has a number of serious security ... read »
The new residential project adds to a growing pipeline of development on the boards i... read »
Today, UrbanTurf looks at what we think will be the metrics that will determine the d... read »
Located in the heart of Shaw, Intersect at O includes five elevator townhomes. The fi... read »
With interest rates reaching their highest levels in 22 years, it is critically impor... read »
Long-term interest rates are at their highest level in decades, but a new forecast pr... read »
The Church of the Epiphany has filed plans with the city to demolish the rear portion... read »
Just before the holiday, UrbanTurf is taking its semi-annual look at the neighborhood... read »
Plans have been filed with DC's Historic Preservation Office to convert the building ... read »
With this weekend's DC houseboat tour a day away, UrbanTurf thought it only fitting t... read »
President Obama travels to Denver this morning to sign the stimulus bill that has bee... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader wonders if there is a rule for h... read »
As The Wharf prepares to begin construction, DC's houseboat community heads to its ne... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader asks a fairly common question th... read »
DC Real Estate Guides
Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market
We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Start browsing below!
Intro guides for first-time home buyers
Awesome and unusual real estate from across the DC Metro