What's Hot: The 4 Projects in the Works (Or on Hold) Near DC's Starburst Intersection | This Week's Find: Fit For Art in the Palisades
Will This Be the Greenest Residential Building in the World?
Clearpoint Residences via designboom.
A Sri Lankan city is getting the country’s first sustainable high-rise, and the building is literally wreathed in green.
Every apartment in the 46-story Clearpoint Residences near Colombo will have giant gardens watered by a centralized irrigation system that will help shield residents from sunlight and pollution while bringing down the building’s cooling costs during hot summers. The building’s common electricity will be sourced in part by solar panels on the roof. The sky-reaching project was designed by Milroy Perera Associates and Maga Engineering, according to designboom. The scheduled completion date for the building is 2016.
A living room at Clearpoint Residences.
While both in terms of energy-efficiency and height, this building will look quite foreign to DC residents, our city does have its outsized share of LEED-certified buildings. And a few new residential projects are making energy-efficiency a priority:
- Skyhouse DC, a recently-opened two-tower renovation of the EPA’s former headquarters in Southwest DC, aims to achieve a certification of LEED Silver or better.
- 17 Solar is a project of 26 glassy, solar-powered, modern-looking homes from District Development Group (DDG) planned near 17th Street NE between D and E Street.
- Rhode Island Row, a 274-unit rental building on Rhode Island Avenue NE, offers energy-saving appliances and water-saving fixtures in each of its apartments. The development also has a green roof and offers electric car-charging stations for its tenants, according to the building website.
See other articles related to: green real estate, green real estate dc, solar power
This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/forget_green_roofs_this_entire_high-rise_is_green/8062.
Most Popular... This Week • Last 30 Days • Ever
Our guide for amateur landlords who don't really know what they're doing.... read »
The Massachusetts Avenue Heights home was previously owned by the former chief execut... read »
A large new apartment and townhouse project has been pitched for the growing pipeline... read »
On Friday, Mayor Muriel Bowser and the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Ec... read »
In this week's Under Contract, we highlight two homes that found buyers just shortly ... read »
Virginia's homebuyer assistance programs can seem complex. This edition of First-Time... read »
The residential projects that have sprouted up on the Maryland and DC sides of the Fr... read »
The immaculately kept 100-year-old house features six bedrooms and four-and-a-half ba... read »
Ten years later, plans to construct nearly 150 townhomes at DC's most hotly debated d... read »
A look at the larger residential developments in the works from Cardozo to Mount Vern... read »
With this weekend's DC houseboat tour a day away, UrbanTurf thought it only fitting t... read »
President Obama travels to Denver this morning to sign the stimulus bill that has bee... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader wonders if there is a rule for h... read »
As The Wharf prepares to begin construction, DC's houseboat community heads to its ne... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader asks a fairly common question th... read »
- The Essential Guide to Being an Amateur Landlord in DC
- Washington Spirit Owner Michele Kang Lists DC Home for $14.5 Million
- A Two-Phase, 370-Unit Development Pitched For Columbia Pike Gas Station Site
- Apartments, A Plaza + Dave Chapelle: The Future Plans for 14th and U
- Under Contract: That Didn't Take Long
- First-Timer Primer: Virginia's Home Buyer Assistance Programs
- Mall Conversions, Trader Joes? The 1,500 Units in the Friendship Heights Pipeline
- Now Selling: A 16th Street Heights Victorian on an Island of Its Own
- Reservoir District: 146 Townhomes Planned at McMillan Site Look For Final Design Approval
- The 9 Developments and 1,250 Units in the Works For Shaw
DC Real Estate Guides
Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market
We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Visit guides.urbanturf.com or start browsing below!
Intro guides for first-time home buyers
Awesome and unusual real estate from across the DC Metro