Deal of the Week: Amanda Clarke’s Latest H Street Gem

by Mark Wellborn

Deal of the Week: Amanda Clarke's Latest H Street Gem: Figure 1
1613 Gales Street NE

Back in March, we featured a three-bedroom row house near the H Street Corridor as a Deal of the Week that had been entirely rebuilt by the architect/owner Amanda Clarke. The post was one of our most popular that week, but not as popular as the home itself: It received seven offers and was under contract two days after we featured it.

This week’s Deal of the Week is Clarke’s latest project, a 1,300 square-foot, two-bedroom row house not far from the home above. The main level of the home has a long living room that runs into a kitchen that then extends into the backyard. There are two bedroom suites on the second floor, but Clarke wanted a third space, so she created an office alcove on the second floor landing.

Deal of the Week: Amanda Clarke's Latest H Street Gem: Figure 2
Living Room into Kitchen

“When I purchased 1613 Gales, my first thought was that I had to add a floor and do something comparable to 1524,” Clarke told UrbanTurf. “After further consideration, I thought about this building’s own character and I wanted to celebrate that instead of imposing something upon it. I love the charm of the front façade; simply contrasting the medallions and the cornice with the brick brings out that character.”

More details and photos below. For the full listing, click here.

• Address: 1613 Gales Street NE (map)
  • Price: $425,000
  • Bedrooms: Two
  • Bathrooms: 2.5
  • Square Footage: 1,306

Here are some monthly payment calculations based on a 20 percent down payment and a 30-year fixed rate mortgage at 4.3 percent.

• Loan Amount: $340,000
  • Principal and Interest: $1,683
  • Property Taxes: $224/month
  • Total Monthly Payments: $1,907

Deal of the Week: Amanda Clarke's Latest H Street Gem: Figure 3
Kitchen

Deal of the Week: Amanda Clarke's Latest H Street Gem: Figure 4
Master Bedroom

See other articles related to: rosedale, deal of the week, dclofts

This article originally published at http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/deal_of_the_week_amanda_clarkes_latest_h_street_gem/2676

1. H Street said at 10:19 pm on Monday November 15, 2010:
    I LOVE both this one and her last project. Keep making beautiful homes in my neighborhood, Amanda!
  1. East H Street said at 10:35 pm on Monday November 15, 2010:
    It's been interesting to see all of the movement on the 1500 and 1600 blocks of Gales Street recently. This one is stunning!
  1. Sam said at 4:24 am on Tuesday November 16, 2010:
    Fabulous. Hard to know how to valuate this home, though, as there aren't many renovated homes like this in the area.
  1. former Georgetowner said at 4:48 am on Tuesday November 16, 2010:
    gorgeous house, but I'm not sure I'd spend that much for that neighborhood. also not a big fan of the artspeak. "and I wanted to celebrate that instead of imposing something upon it" - sounds like the kind of shtick i wrote in art history 101
  1. h street landlord said at 5:06 am on Tuesday November 16, 2010:
    Except you never built anything. And the last one had hella offers. Best,
  1. modern architect in DC said at 3:26 pm on Wednesday November 17, 2010:
    Nice to see H st corridor advancing...as for renovation...hit and miss...while i'm sure it looks great to the 'layman's eye"..the materiality ( finishes) are on the lower end...and there are no "built-ins"..take away the furniture / staging and it is an empty box... guess thats good for this area still in transition...this is expected for "turn-arounds" i guess?
  1. pazzysmom said at 3:28 pm on Wednesday November 17, 2010:
    Sam's comment is woefully correct. We wonder how 1524 Gales was valued. Not to say that these homes are not worth it, because 1524 is a true gem! We still believe that Rosedale is the best deal in the city, a nice little community in itself. We on the 1500 block are a little wary of the 1600 block though (same planet, diff worlds). Granted, this is probably what the 1400 block (G St) thinks about us... 😉
  1. 1600 Block said at 6:54 pm on Wednesday November 17, 2010:
    @ pazzysmom Funny, I live on the 1600 block and am a 'little wary' of the 1500 block, but both are great IMO. I think both are part of the same 'world' of east H, it's just that most people end up feeling comfortable with their surroundings and realize that there are real people as neighbors and safety isn't any different than say Columbia Heights. As for the valuation of 1613, I was a bit surprised to see this house going for $425k, but if it really is a spectacular renovation (always hard to tell from the wide angle photos) it might be worth it to somebody who has been looking at $600k+ homes two blocks west and realizes they are just as close to everything on H as they would be on F street or Tennessee Ave. It will be interesting to watch.
  1. Tia said at 3:04 pm on Thursday November 18, 2010:
    This is a lovely home! I love the open & airy feel.
  1. EDITH said at 4:55 pm on Sunday November 21, 2010:
    Great job! I love the front of the house.
  1. Sandy said at 8:29 pm on Sunday November 21, 2010:
    I went to the open house, it is such a clean, sleek structure. Lots of windows, great sun light, a good amount of storage space. And the kitchen, wow very large for a home of that size. Over all a brilliant renovation!
  1. Pat said at 6:08 am on Monday November 22, 2010:
    I live on the 1600 block and went to the open house to see the changes on the block. I would love to come home to this space. The design looks great with a good use of space and lots of light. The back yard/deck is just right, very thoughtful design. Great overall addition to Rosedale.