DC is #1 in the Country For Traffic Congestion

DC is #1 in the Country For Traffic Congestion: Figure 1

Two years ago, a report from Inrix Inc. said that there was a 26 percent drop in DC area traffic congestion in 2008. That nice trend does not seem to have held up.

The Washington Post reported recently that the DC region is tied with Chicago for the worst traffic congestion in the country. An annual traffic survey from the Texas Transportation Institute reports that DC drivers spend almost 70 hours a year (or almost three days) crawling along in congested traffic.

Compounding that statistic are results from a Washington Post poll that states road rage has also increased significantly:

“The number of drivers in the Washington region who say they frequently feel uncontrollable anger toward another driver has doubled in the past five years. Almost a third of drivers said they’re overcome with that wild rage from time to time.”

Inrix, Inc. helped compile data for this survey. It offered millions of drivers a mobile application that provides real-time travel information in return for anonymous tracking of the users’ travel.

See other articles related to: traffic congestion, the washington post

This article originally published at http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/dc_is_1_in_the_country_for_traffic_congestion/2872

1. Move Right said at 3:04 am on Friday January 21, 2011:
    For a metro area that's among the most educated, this is really disappointing. I feel like half the traffic can be solved with two things: 1) stop rubbernecking and 2) stay out of the left lane--if you don't know why, you don't belong there.
  1. jag said at 5:26 am on Friday January 21, 2011:
    In my 25 years in the region I've never once driven to work and the statistics say a whole lot of people are the same as me. It's just a select number of people that for some reason choose to self-flagellate and live and work in completely different areas AND not take public transportation between the two.
  1. Stringsattached said at 5:57 pm on Friday January 21, 2011:
    @jag Your point is well taken but let's look at my situation. I live 4 miles from my office but due to my neighborhood and the metro train line available (green) it's much faster for me to drive to work. When I lived in Alexandria, I used metrobus all the time and would to metro again but its just not advantageous. Not all DMV drivers do so b/c they love sitting in traffic. In fact, I can't think of someone who enjoys bad traffic.
  1. jag said at 12:11 am on Saturday January 22, 2011:
    Makes sense, Stringsattached. I'm just thinking of friends who live in MoCo, but commute 25 miles out to NoVa and then complain about traffic on 66. It's that type of situation that doesn't add up. Driving 4 miles seems reasonable enough and if more people were reasonable like that then I'm sure traffic wouldn't nearly be this big of an issue.
  1. NEH said at 9:06 pm on Tuesday January 25, 2011:
    Well many people would prefer to live closer to where they work but don't because they would have to live in a shoebox or be really rich to afford a decent sized house...therefore you get the MoCo to NoVa or Frederick MD to downtown DC dynamic. Hey I would love to live in NW DC in a premium neighborhood but right now starter houses are going for the $700s in those neighborhoods.
  1. aj said at 7:08 pm on Wednesday January 26, 2011:
    just throwing in my two cents. what if I'm married and I live close to work but my spouse doesn't? what if we bought a house close to work but then both got laid off from our jobs and our new employment locations are far from home? and our kids are already embedded in schools near home? it is silly to say "live close to work" when spouses rarely work in the same building or neighborhood and people rarely maintain the same job over 30 years (the duration of their mortgage). and it is not reasonable to expect people to buy and sell their home every time they have a local job change. I would personally turn down a job offer that required me to drive to work every day, but that's easy to say when I already have a job. I doubt anyone unemployed would say that.