Comp and Circumstance: The Battle of the Two-Bedrooms

by Rebecca Ortega

Comp and Circumstance presents two “for-sale” homes of roughly similar prices in DC and compares the pros and cons of each. This week, we discuss two condos that are similar in size, location and price for a true head-to-head match-up. The price point is between $409,000-$419,000. Let us know in the comments section below which of the two you feel is the better buy.

See all our past Comp and Circumstance features here.

Comp and Circumstance: The Battle of the Two-Bedrooms: Figure 1
1651 Lamont Street NW, Unit 1C

First-Floor Two-Bedroom Unit in the Center of Mount Pleasant

1651 Lamont St NW, Unit 1C is a 928 square-foot, two-bedroom, one-bath condo in the middle of Mount Pleasant. The main selling points are the updated kitchen, a very large master bedroom, wood-burning fireplace and a garage parking space. The unit also has a large built-in bookcase spanning the living room into the dining room. Drawbacks of this unit are few considering the price point, but some buyers are turned off by a first floor unit and the living room and dining areas are on the small side, areas that may have been scaled back in favor of the large master bedroom. Condo fees for the unit are fairly low at $227/month.

Comp and Circumstance: The Battle of the Two-Bedrooms: Figure 2
2004 11th St NW, # 239

Two-Bedroom Condo Minutes From the U Street Corridor

This two-bedroom condo is located at 2004 11th Street NW just north of the U Street Corridor bar and restaurant scene. The renovated unit is about 50 square feet smaller than the Mount Pleasant property, but it includes two full bathrooms, a larger, more open living/dining and kitchen area, a gas fireplace and a balcony. Like the Mount Pleasant unit, this condo comes with a garage parking space, but the building also has a fitness center and a roof deck. Those amenities do come at a cost as the condo fees for the unit are on the high side, however the eventual buyer can take solace knowing that he/she won’t have to pay for a gym membership and will have a great outdoor space to entertain friends on the weekends.

So, what do you think? If you were condo shopping, which of these properties would you buy? Does the second bathroom tip the scales? Would you rather live in Mount Pleasant? Do features like a wood burning fireplace or a roof deck matter? Let us know your preference in the comments below.

1651 Lamont Street NW, Unit 1C 2004 11th Street NW, #239
Bedrooms 2 2
Bathrooms 1 2
Square footage 928 877
Pros Large master bedroom, renovated kitchen, wood-burning fireplace, garage parking, 4 blocks to Columbia Heights Metro Roof deck, fitness center, garage parking, 2 full bathrooms, 4 blocks to U Street Metro, near U Street bars and restaurants
Cons Small living/dining room, only one bathroom Older kitchen, high condo fees
Price $419,000 $409,000
Neighborhood Mount Pleasant U Street Corridor
Links 1651 Lamont St NW, Unit 1CMap 2004 11th Street NW, #239Map

This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/comp_and_circumstance_the_battle_of_the_two_bedrooms/2497

1. Ali said at 2:56 pm on Wednesday September 22, 2010:
    I think that preference here really comes down to which neighborhood you prefer (even though the lower level for the MP condo and the high fees on U Street will be issues for folks.) Personally, I prefer Mount Pleasant.
  1. John said at 3:12 pm on Wednesday September 22, 2010:
    Some factors that haven't been mentioned but mattered a lot to me when I bought my place. Curb Appeal and Light. I personally find the U street building to be ugly. It means a lot to me that when I walk up to my home I am pleased with the asthetics. However the Ustreet space, in addition to having outdoor space, is more lightfilled. I like both neighborhoods but am partial to Mount Pleasant. U street would be an easy walk. In the end I think I would choose mount pleasant just because it is in a smaller, older building with half the condo fees. But a tough choice indeed.
  1. Mike said at 1:21 pm on Wednesday September 22, 2010:
    I like the location of the U street place better, and the openness of the living space is appealing(I'd rather give up a little bedroom space to be able to entertain). A balcony is a nice feature to have some outside space. I also like the amenities of the U street property, but they come at a price (>$500 per month condo fees). Both places seem appealing.
  1. Sabeen said at 2:02 pm on Wednesday September 22, 2010:
    I agree with Mike. I think the U Street condo is more to my liking because of the amenities and location. It is a touch choice, though, because Mt. Pleasant is one of my fav areas in the city!
  1. SL said at 4:26 pm on Wednesday September 22, 2010:
    I prefer the Mt. Pleasant one - the only drawback to me would be that it's on the 1st floor and therefore has bars on the window. At least it's raised above the street so people wouldn't be peering in your windows. I much prefer older, smaller buildings - the other building looks a little like it's very 80s and cheaply built vs. the way new buildings in the area are being built now. But that may be just a matter of personal preference.
  1. DCster said at 10:05 pm on Wednesday September 22, 2010:
    In terms of actual condos, I prefer the U Street. It has more light, balcony, and I'm not in need of as much bedroom space. But I think it depends on what kind of lifestyle someone prefers (eg family/studious or couple/partiers). Mt. Pleasant would be a little more quiet, residential. U Street more lively, and commercial.
  1. Jen A. said at 8:40 pm on Thursday September 23, 2010:
    As the listing agent and neighbor to the U St. place, I say the U St. condo wins. I love my neighborhood!
  1. Gil said at 4:07 pm on Thursday September 23, 2010: