A $50,000 Anacostia Rowhouse: The Before Photos

by Shilpi Paul

Yesterday, UrbanTurf featured K Leszczak’s renovation of an Anacostia rowhouse. Purchased for $54,000, the home was in rough condition when Leszczak closed on it in 2011.

Today, we got our hands on what the home looked like before renovations started, and as they were going on. Check them out below.

A $50,000 Anacostia Rowhouse: The Before Photos: Figure 1
The first floor

A $50,000 Anacostia Rowhouse: The Before Photos: Figure 2
The second floor

A $50,000 Anacostia Rowhouse: The Before Photos: Figure 3

A $50,000 Anacostia Rowhouse: The Before Photos: Figure 4

See other articles related to: renovation, dclofts, anacostia

This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/what_the_50000_anacostia_rowhouse_looked_like_before/6744

1. i said at 5:06 pm on Tuesday March 5, 2013:
    There has gotta be a few licensed electricians, plumbers among the "dedicated friends, family, and a lot of sore muscles"!
  1. Jason said at 6:43 pm on Tuesday March 5, 2013:
    The original article stated: "After getting the systems updated and installing drywall, Leszczak set about renovating the bulk of the home with just the help of family and friends". So I'm reading that as the family and friends helped with paint, finishes, fixtures, cabinetry, etc...
  1. Dana Hollish Hill said at 8:10 pm on Tuesday March 5, 2013:
    Thanks! I think these make the story and removation a lot more impressive.
  1. Q-Street said at 10:42 pm on Tuesday March 5, 2013:
    I'd love to know how they repaired the plaster around the windows. I installed new windows in my house, with a complete reframe, and they look exactly like the one in the last picture. The plaster is about two inches thick, and there is a 4-5 inch gap between the extension jamb and the existing plaster; far to big to bridge with trim. Did you guys replaster over the frame, or did you use dry wall?
  1. K said at 11:46 pm on Tuesday March 5, 2013:
    @Q-Street - From what I remember, drywall was used. When we started the finish work, we first installed window jambs. The wood we used had to be custom cut to accomodate the new windows within the old frame. (I chose to paint the window jambs black to create a nice color scheme within my home. The windows are also black.) Then, if there were any big gaps, we chose to use foam insulation. In general, caulking was sufficient. Finally, we installed the trim around the windows. Hope this helps!
  1. Q-Street said at 9:11 pm on Wednesday March 6, 2013:
    Thanks K! It does help. I'm blocking up my window frames to install drywall. Sounds like we're going a similar route.
  1. K said at 8:50 pm on Wednesday March 20, 2013:
    As promised, here are some more pictures of the renovation process: bit.ly/WJ6vrw
  1. Dana S said at 6:08 pm on Sunday August 10, 2014:
    Hey Ms. Leszczak, My husband and I have read your article with excitement! We have been discussing buying in Anacostia, but want to find a realtor who really knows what is going on on the ground there, in terms of development and construction in the area. Do you have any tips or recommendations? Cheers! Dana