A week ago, DC's Office of the Chief Financial Officer released its latest economic and revenue trends report that included a number of statistics about the DC economy in 2018. UrbanTurf reviewed that report as well as several other statistics in order to highlight some of the more interesting aspects of the city economy last year.
- 702,455 -- DC's population as of July 2018, the highest it has been since 1975.
- 135,319 -- The amount DC's population has gone up since 2005.
- 5.6% -- The adjusted unemployment rate in DC in November, down from 5.9% in late 2017.
- 24.4% -- The share of DC residents that work for the federal government.
- $17 billion -- The taxable retail sales in DC last year, up from $10 billion in 2009.
- 35,068 -- The number of Class A apartments in DC, of which 10.9 percent are vacant.
- 58,079 -- The number of Class C apartments in DC, of which 4.8 percent are vacant.
- $738,000 -- The median price of a single-family home in 2018, up 7 percent from 2017.
- $469,900 -- The median price of a condo in 2018, up 4.4 percent from 2017.
- 26% -- The percentage of single family home sales in 2018 that were for properties greater than $1 million.
- $82,170 -- The median income in DC last year, up from $67,377 in 2009.
- 4,268 -- The number of housing permits issued for the 12-month period ending in October, down 10 percent from the previous year.
This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/the-dc-economy-by-the-numbers/14970.
Most Popular... This Week • Last 30 Days • Ever
Here are some precautions to take before buying real estate with a buddy.... read »
The largest development on the boards for the H Street Corridor will go before DC's B... read »
The plans for 7749 Old Georgetown Road will go before the Montgomery County Developme... read »
The red wall near the corner of 30th and M Street NW hit the market back in July for ... read »
Today, we highlight the five DC neighborhoods that have been the most affordable to h... read »
With interest rates reaching their highest levels in 22 years, it is critically impor... read »
Just before the holiday, UrbanTurf is taking its semi-annual look at the neighborhood... read »
Plans have been filed with DC's Historic Preservation Office to convert the building ... read »
The change would allow for an 80-acre portion of DC's 272-acre Armed Forces Retiremen... read »
An application filed with DC this week signals the end is nigh for a McDonald's locat... read »
With this weekend's DC houseboat tour a day away, UrbanTurf thought it only fitting t... read »
President Obama travels to Denver this morning to sign the stimulus bill that has bee... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader wonders if there is a rule for h... read »
As The Wharf prepares to begin construction, DC's houseboat community heads to its ne... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader asks a fairly common question th... read »
DC Real Estate Guides
Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market
We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Start browsing below!
Intro guides for first-time home buyers
Awesome and unusual real estate from across the DC Metro