What $300,000 Buys You in the DC Area

by Shilpi Paul

In What X Buys You this week, UrbanTurf takes a look at properties on the market in the $300,000 range to give readers an idea of what type of homes are available in this price point in the DC area.

What $300,000 Buys You in the DC Area: Figure 1

Top-Floor Unit Within Blocks of the Capitol

Though the HOA fees are on the high side, the generous layout, top-floor perks and location three blocks from the Capitol and Eastern Market make this one-bedroom an appealing option. Squeezed into 557 square feet are a tight eat-in area in the kitchen, a larger bedroom with space for several pieces of furniture, and a bright living room.

• Full Listing: 414 Seward Square SE #402 (map)
  • Price: $299,900
  • Bedrooms: One
  • Bathrooms: One
  • Square Footage: 557
  • HOA fees: $508/month
  • Listing Agent: Jason Holt, Keller Williams Capital Properties

What $300,000 Buys You in the DC Area: Figure 2

Detached Home in Lamond Riggs

At this price point, it’s rare to find a detached home. This one is on the small side, with only two bedrooms, but has a lawn, backyard, front porch and basement to give it the full house experience. Located in Lamond Riggs, on the northeast corner of DC, the home is about a mile from the Takoma Park metro station and is within walking distance of the town and farmer’s market.

• Full Listing: 43 Sheridan Street NE (map)
  • Price: $299,000
  • Bedrooms: Two
  • Bathrooms: One
  • Year Built: 1942
  • Listing Agent: Ben Holmes, Long & Foster Real Estate

What $300,000 Buys You in the DC Area: Figure 3

Arlington Studio in a High Rise

This studio is located in The Continental at Ballston, a high-rise residential building two blocks from the Ballston metro station. Like many large buildings, this one is amenity-rich, with a rooftop pool, a business center, a gym and a theater. The unit itself is arranged into distinct areas; the kitchen is a separate room, and the bed fits into a window-filled nook.

• Full Listing: 851 Glebe Road North #912 (map)
  • Price: $299,000
  • Bedrooms: Studio
  • Bathrooms: One
  • Square Footage: 550
  • HOA fees: $215/month
  • Listing Agent: Stacy Rodgers, Long & Foster Real Estate

This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/what_300000_buys_you_in_the_dc_area1/7669

1. DomRep said at 8:56 pm on Wednesday October 9, 2013:
    Curious about something, my studio in SW is bigger than the one on Capitol Hill with lower HOA fees that include all utilities as well. If I wanted to sell it tomorrow, what would stop me from pricing it similar to the one at the Hill? Ignoring comps for a sec (b/c comps tell me I'd have to sell it for about 25K less), at least to the naked eye it seems like I can price it at at least 300K and get a potential buyer, no?
  1. Sam said at 9:13 pm on Wednesday October 9, 2013:
    You are right in that Comps are just Comps, specially these days where things are changing day to day. There are a lot of different factors that could determine what you could sell your condo for. I am happy to look at it for you.
  1. mj said at 9:23 pm on Wednesday October 9, 2013:
    Nothing would stop you from pricing it any way you want to. There are no pricing rules. The question is would someone buy it? Real estate is supply and demand. The demand is significantly higher and the supply is low on the Hill, than for SW. I wouldn't dismiss comps for SW, that market just isn't that strong--but one day that may change! You'd be hard pressed to find someone willing to pay the same price for a studio in SW as in Capitol Hill.
  1. DomRep said at 9:47 pm on Wednesday October 9, 2013:
    Based on everything I've read, there's an extremely short supply of condos right now. And SW is probably just as depleted as Capitol Hill (co-ops are another story, and I would argue make up the vast majority of inventory in SW). Just using my studio as an example, its bigger, HOA fees are $200 less, and you're a 2-3 minute walk from a supermarket/metro/cleaners/cvs. I'm only asking a rhetorical question, and MJ, I totally get where you're coming from...it just gives me a slight pause and it makes me think when I eventually do sell, how much should I sell it for. If a 550 square foot condo at the Hill is selling for 300K, what would a condo w/better amenities in SW sell for?
  1. Phil said at 9:53 pm on Wednesday October 9, 2013:
    My studio is right on 14th St in the U St Corridor, but I have it listed at $309. Also, my HOA fees are <$200/mo. It's gotten a lot of traffic but no offers yet. Maybe you have a buyer out there that would be interested! http://homes.longandfoster.com/Real-Estate/PropertyDetails.aspx?1414-BELMONT-ST-NW-302-Washington-DC-20009&MlsCompanyID=2&MlsNumber=DC8176189&FromParnter=true
  1. Anonymous said at 5:28 am on Friday October 11, 2013:
    Phil, Nope not interested and please don't use the comment section to try and solicit your real estate. Thanks
  1. Phil said at 3:46 pm on Friday October 11, 2013:
    Get a life
  1. jeff said at 2:32 pm on Tuesday October 15, 2013:
    The hipness of the Hill unit with location being equidistant between the Capitol Building and eastern market unfortunately tends to trump a unit with higher amenities in a less desirable area, proximity to metro or not. While there are new CVS/ Safeway, there are much more limited Bar/Restaurant options. These are the factors and high volume of Co-op units result in a lower price range.