UrbanTurf plucked out some interesting stats below:
- 124,641 — The number of rental units DC has in apartment buildings, not including those owned by the city or managed by a non-profit.
- 82,780 — The number of "shadow" rental units in DC, which includes less-regulated rentals of single-family houses, condos, flats and the like, across 35,750 buildings.
- 162,000 — The estimated number of renter households in DC; 93,000 of these households earn less than 80% of area median income (AMI).
- 36% — The share of all rental units in DC that are one-bedrooms.
- $1,442 — The median rent across all units in rent-controlled buildings in DC.
- $2,554 — The median rent across all units not subject to rent control in DC.
- 15-30% — The estimated drop in rent-controlled units in DC since 1985.
- 55,107 — The number of rental units in Ward 6, the highest citywide by far (Ward 2 comes in second with 43,438 units).
- 26,000 — The estimated number of single-family houses used as rentals. Ward 7 leads in this tally citywide, with roughly 5,100 single-family rentals.
- 34,000 — The number of rental apartments built in DC since 2000, accounting for nearly 25% of all rental apartments, across 375 buildings.
- 52 — The number of buildings in DC not subject to any rent control or affordability requirements, all constructed from 1978 to 2007. These buildings contain 5,967 units.
This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/34000-units-in-20-years-dcs-rental-market-by-the-numbers/16669.
Most Popular... This Week • Last 30 Days • Ever
The change would allow for an 80-acre portion of DC's 272-acre Armed Forces Retiremen... read »
The Capitol Hill home has been listed for sale that has a number of serious security ... read »
The new residential project adds to a growing pipeline of development on the boards i... read »
Today, UrbanTurf looks at what we think will be the metrics that will determine the d... read »
Located in the heart of Shaw, Intersect at O includes five elevator townhomes. The fi... read »
With interest rates reaching their highest levels in 22 years, it is critically impor... read »
Long-term interest rates are at their highest level in decades, but a new forecast pr... read »
The Church of the Epiphany has filed plans with the city to demolish the rear portion... read »
Just before the holiday, UrbanTurf is taking its semi-annual look at the neighborhood... read »
Plans have been filed with DC's Historic Preservation Office to convert the building ... read »
With this weekend's DC houseboat tour a day away, UrbanTurf thought it only fitting t... read »
President Obama travels to Denver this morning to sign the stimulus bill that has bee... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader wonders if there is a rule for h... read »
As The Wharf prepares to begin construction, DC's houseboat community heads to its ne... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader asks a fairly common question th... read »
DC Real Estate Guides
Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market
We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Start browsing below!
Intro guides for first-time home buyers
Awesome and unusual real estate from across the DC Metro