UrbanTurf plucked out some interesting stats below:
- 124,641 — The number of rental units DC has in apartment buildings, not including those owned by the city or managed by a non-profit.
- 82,780 — The number of "shadow" rental units in DC, which includes less-regulated rentals of single-family houses, condos, flats and the like, across 35,750 buildings.
- 162,000 — The estimated number of renter households in DC; 93,000 of these households earn less than 80% of area median income (AMI).
- 36% — The share of all rental units in DC that are one-bedrooms.
- $1,442 — The median rent across all units in rent-controlled buildings in DC.
- $2,554 — The median rent across all units not subject to rent control in DC.
- 15-30% — The estimated drop in rent-controlled units in DC since 1985.
- 55,107 — The number of rental units in Ward 6, the highest citywide by far (Ward 2 comes in second with 43,438 units).
- 26,000 — The estimated number of single-family houses used as rentals. Ward 7 leads in this tally citywide, with roughly 5,100 single-family rentals.
- 34,000 — The number of rental apartments built in DC since 2000, accounting for nearly 25% of all rental apartments, across 375 buildings.
- 52 — The number of buildings in DC not subject to any rent control or affordability requirements, all constructed from 1978 to 2007. These buildings contain 5,967 units.
This article originally published at http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/34000-units-in-20-years-dcs-rental-market-by-the-numbers/16669
Most Popular... This Week • Last 30 Days • Ever
Approximately 16,550 units delivered in DC between January 2019 and August 2021.... read »
UrbanTurf has compiled virtual looks at large new developments around the DC region.... read »
The seven-bedroom home hit the market on Friday and was under contract by Sunday.... read »
This year will likely go down as the year that prices for houses in DC reached new he... read »
Dubbed OZMA, the 13-story project will include roughly 7,900 square feet of ground fl... read »
The preferred mortgage product among most home buyers is the fixed-rate mortgage. How... read »
STAY DC provides rental aid and utility payment grants to at-risk District residents ... read »
The planned 8-unit development would be located on K Street right along the Potomac R... read »
Landmark Theatres is in the final stages of negotiations that would have it operating... read »
The 12,000 square foot replica of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue went under contract last w... read »
With this weekend's DC houseboat tour a day away, UrbanTurf thought it only fitting t... read »
President Obama travels to Denver this morning to sign the stimulus bill that has bee... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader wonders if there is a rule for h... read »
As The Wharf prepares to begin construction, DC's houseboat community heads to its ne... read »
In this week's installment of Ask An Agent, a reader asks a fairly common question th... read »
DC Real Estate Guides
Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market
We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Visit guides.urbanturf.com or start browsing below!
Intro guides for first-time home buyers
Awesome and unusual real estate from across the DC Metro