UrbanTurf Reader Asks: What is a Good Way to Meet My Neighbors?

UrbanTurf Reader Asks: What is a Good Way to Meet My Neighbors?: Figure 1

In this installment of UrbanTurf Reader Asks, a new DC resident is looking for some suggestions on a tough question: What is the best way to meet her new neighbors?

My husband and I just bought a row house near Shaw, and we're wondering if any UrbanTurf readers out there have any suggestions on the best ways to meet neighbors, short of knocking on doors with baked goods in hand, and getting integrated into the community in more traditional ways. We're happy to say hello to people we encounter, but is there anything else we can do? I realize that this is not a run-of-the-mill question, but would love to hear any suggestions anyone has or tactics that have worked for them. Thanks!

Post your thoughts in the comments section. If you would like to submit a question for UrbanTurf Reader Asks, send an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

See other articles related to: urbanturf reader asks, neighbors

This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/urbanturf_reader_asks_whats_a_good_way_to_meet_my_neighbors/5371

1. H St said at 6:27 pm on Wednesday April 4, 2012:
    I had this same issue when I moved to the H Street Corridor a couple years ago. Fortunately, my block was pretty active in getting residents together at block parties and such, so now I know a good deal of my neighbors. I wouldn't have had the nerve to go door-to-door.
  1. KL said at 6:32 pm on Wednesday April 4, 2012:
    I don't think it is a bad tactic to organize a little event at your place and then invite your neighbors by sliding an invite under their doors. It shows initiative and there are probably a number of people on your block that want to do the same thing.
  1. Josh said at 6:40 pm on Wednesday April 4, 2012:
    We actually went door-to-door on our new block in Mt. Pleasant. People were skeptical at first, but became super friendly when they saw the chocolate chip cookies
  1. Crabhands said at 7:03 pm on Wednesday April 4, 2012:
    I have found that being outside working on your house / yard is a great way to meet your neighbors. The neighbors who want to meet you will stop by. Another way is to attend local political events. Even if you don't care much about politics the social scene is worth it.
  1. DC said at 7:26 pm on Wednesday April 4, 2012:
    I agree that working outside on the house or garden is a great way to meet people! When we bought our place, we did a lot of yard work right away, and it was amazing how many people we met (both people our age we could hang out with as well as older neighbors we became very friendly with). But, I also think that you have to take initiative and strike up conversation as you see people out on the street. We have done the baked goods thing at holidays, as well as hosted political events, but overall, I think a friendly wave, smile, and quick introduction are the best ways to break the ice!
  1. kevin jones said at 8:15 pm on Wednesday April 4, 2012:
    Working on your home or yard in the front or rear with cold beverages or just sitting with your dog or cat out front with your wine will bring neighbors with theirs to start the meeting process in the block for knowing conversations or meet & greet.
  1. Ari said at 10:31 pm on Wednesday April 4, 2012:
    Get a dog. Walk the dog. Let the dog play with other dogs and chat with the owner. Most of our neighbors that we have met are frequently on the same dog walking / dog park visiting schedule. We have even formed a sort of dog sitting coop out of this!
  1. Elizabeth said at 3:23 am on Thursday April 5, 2012:
    Join your neighborhood association. There are so many groups. In addition to meeting neighbors you will find out what is going on in your area. Often the neighborhood/civic association sponsors picnics, etc so there is a social aspect.