The East of the River Development Rundown

  • November 19th 2014

by Lark Turner

Good Hope and Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue SE
Good Hope and Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue SE

Over the past few weeks, UrbanTurf has been looking at the residential developments on the boards for neighborhoods throughout the D.C. area. This week, we check out what’s happening east of the river in Wards 7 and 8. Here we’re looking at very large developments and those with a market-rate component.

As always, let us know if we missed anything by reaching out to editor2014@urbanturf.com and we will update this list.

The East of the River Development Rundown: Figure 1

Skyland Town Center

Skyland Town Center is a redevelopment of a 16-acre site in Ward 7 (map) into 342,000 square feet of retail and 476 residences. A planned Wal-Mart would anchor the retail portion of the project. The Rappaport Companies lead the Skyland Development Team with several other partners. Torti Gallas and Partners and Michael Marshall Architecture are also working on the project. The ambitious goal of the development is to “transform a disjointed retail area with limited offerings into a cohesive, well-designed, prominent living, shopping and gathering place.” The project has been in the works for decades, and though ground broke in early 2014, not much progress has been made since then.

The East of the River Development Rundown: Figure 2

St. Elizabeth’s East

The city put out a request for proposals on a part of the St. Elizabeth’s East campus near the Congress Heights Metro (map) earlier this year and received five responses; a developer has not yet been selected. The city hopes to create a very large mixed-use project on the site, listed in its RFP as including about 200 residences, a 175,000 square foot tech hub, 600,000 square feet of office space, retail and more on the site’s 1.6 million available square feet.

The East of the River Development Rundown: Figure 3

Congress Heights Metro Development

The Congress Heights Metro Development is a plan for 446,000 square feet of retail, offices and residential atop the Congress Heights station along Alabama Avenue SE (map). Latest plans submitted to the Zoning Commission include about 200 residential units. Zoning will take the case up again in early 2015. It’s hoped that the project will ultimately help support development at St. Elizabeth’s East.

The East of the River Development Rundown: Figure 4

2255 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. SE

Four Points LLC is building a project at 2255 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. SE (map) in Anacostia with about 70 residential units. Washington Business Journal’s Michael Neibauer reports that some of the units will be reserved for teachers and artists and that the development’s roof deck may eventually serve as a community gathering place. Four Points’ Stan Voudrie told UrbanTurf that 80 percent of the units will be designated affordable housing, while the remaining 20 percent will be market rate.

Park 7

Donatelli Development’s project near the Minnesota Avenue Metro includes 376 residential apartments and 22,000 square feet of retail. The project, constructed with Blue Skye Development, was only just completed and is currently leasing. It’s located at the corner of Minnesota Avenue and Benning Road NE (map).

Similar Posts:

This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/the_east_of_the_river_development_rundown/9241.

DC Real Estate Guides

Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market

We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Visit guides.urbanturf.com or start browsing below!