loading...

St. Elizabeth’s Architecture Through the Ages

by Nena Perry-Brown

image
The Center Building at St. Elizabeths. Courtesy of the National Archives and Records Administration.

The National Building Museum debuted a new exhibit this past weekend which explores the establishment and evolution of the St. Elizabeth’s medical campus, a 350-acre site in Congress Heights. The site has been walled off from the rest of the city for over 150 years and has been largely vacant for over a decade. Now, as it is on the verge of a large-scale, comprehensive redevelopment, this exhibit revisits the campus’ history.

While the land where St. Elizabeth’s sits was originally occupied by the Piscatawny tribes, the British government deeded it to John Charman in the 1660s, who dubbed the site “St. Elizabeths”. After changing hands several times, prominent local landowner Thomas Blagden (for whom Blagden Alley is named) acquired 185 acres of the site in the 1840s.

Around the same time, the moral reform movement was going strong and seeking to address societal ills like disease, crime and violence by offering people the opportunity to have a better quality of life. The Association of Medical Superintendents of American Institutions for the Insane (AMSAII; later renamed the American Psychiatric Association) was established in 1844 and began issuing recommendations for how to care for the mentally ill, championing fresh air and ample outdoor recreation space.

The federal government took note of this shift and Congress authorized the creation of the “Government Hospital for the Insane” in 1852. The St. Elizabeths site was one of the largest tracts of farmland in the city and was a prime piece of land overlooking DC and both the Anacostia and Potomac Rivers. To secure the site, influential advocate Dorothea Dix persuaded Blagden and his wife to sell their portion of the land to the federal government; they parted with it for $25,000.

image
“Old Original Farmhouse” owned by the Blagdens. National Archives and Records Administration.

The inaugural Center Building of the Government Hospital for the Insane was completed in 1855; Congress officially renamed the campus St. Elizabeth’s in 1916, a moniker that staff and residents had been using colloquially for decades by that time. The campus was completely self-sufficient for a long time, with the nearly-200 acre East Campus used to grow food and crops for the hospital prior to 1904.

Dr. Thomas Kirkbride, a founding member of the AMSAII, became the namesake for the first standard of asylum architecture, which was on display at St. Elizabeth’s. The concept of Kirkbride buildings revolves around “Moral Treatment”, where buildings have a large central core flanked with angled, stepped-back wings, creating one-person rooms clustered according to affliction and enjoying ventilation and unobstructed views; however, the structures had poor living conditions and were overcrowded in practice.

The Center Building adheres to the Kirkbride style, although the design was heavily influenced by then-Superintendent Dr. Charles Nichols, whose apartment and administrative offices were located in the building’s core. Nichols submitted his own sketches to the architect, asserting that the structure should “blend architectural beauty with practical convenience and utility”. Behind the Center Building were segregated East and West Lodges “for the colored insane”, smaller, open dormitories without separation by ailment which did not follow the Kirkbride plan.

image
Some affluent patients, such as Sarah Burroughs, were housed in cottages on campus with their own personal nursing staff. Courtesy of the National Archives and Records Administration, c. 1890s

In 1866, the AMSAII recommended a “Cottage Plan” for housing, suggesting that small, specialized home-like structures were more conducive to effectively treating the mentally ill than the Kirkbride style. The first Cottage Plan addition to the campus was Atkins Hall in 1878, followed in the 1880s by Burroughs Cottage, which hosted affluent, paying patients. These and other cottages were scattered about, not constructed with any formal plan for placement. This was a major period of expansion for the campus, with Boston architectural firm Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge winning the rights to construct 15 new buildings in 1900. These “letter buildings” (Buildings A, B, C etc.) conformed to a single design aesthetic and added 1,000 patient beds; this phase also produced Hitchcock Hall, a performance venue for patients.

The campus expanded further from 1910-1940, with the addition of several tiled roof, red-brick-and-limestone buildings in the City Beautiful-style east of Nichols Avenue. In response to the prevalence of tuberculosis in the early 20th century, five cottages specifically for those suffering from the disease were built by 1914, each with a porch and 20 patients. Many employees also lived in cottages on-campus, as was typical of large institutions created in the 19th century.

image
The Center Building in 2016. Plans to retain as much of the interior of the Center Building were hampered by the discovery of original building materials and a structural system that were in far worse condition than expected. © Colin Winterbottom

Although the majority of development was completed in the 1940s, newer buildings were added later, including a replacement for Howard Hall and other multi-story buildings focused on outpatient treatment and scientific research.

The federal government began transferring the land of the campus to the District in the 1960s; in 1979, the site was designated a National Historic District. By the 1990s, the majority of the campus was emptying out, creating the question of what to do with the site going forward. In 1991, the site was granted National Historic Landmark status; the city also unveiled the “Rehoboth Village Plan”, a proposal to create a planned, mixed-use community where the mentally ill would live among middle-income households on the West Campus.

Now, after another decade of planning, progress is being made to transform St. Elizabeth’s and its long-vacant, deteriorating structures into a thriving community that is more-integrated with the Congress Heights neighborhood.

image
Following an extensive renovation by the General Services Administration, the Center Building will be repurposed as offices for the Department of Homeland Security. Courtesy of the U.S. General Services Administration.

The West Campus will be developed into the new headquarters for the Department of Homeland Security. As part of this, the Center Building was gutted in 2016 and will be renovated into government offices, with some of the original door transoms and trim incorporated. The remainder of St. Elizabeth’s East will be developed into a mixed-use community, including a sports entertainment facility and over 1,300 residential units.

The exhibition on St. Elizabeth’s is now open to the public at the National Building Museum.

This article originally published at https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/st._elizabeths_architecture_through_the_ages/12369

DC Real Estate Guides

Short guides to navigating the DC-area real estate market

We've collected all our helpful guides for buying, selling and renting in and around Washington, DC in one place. Visit guides.urbanturf.com or start browsing below!

Northern Virginia

Profiles of 14 neighborhoods across Northern Virginia

Ballston
Looking to Give People A Reason to Stay Past 6pm
Clarendon
Happily Straddling the Line Between City and Suburb
Columbia Pike
Arlington’s Neglected Stepchild is Getting a Makeover
Crystal City
Turning Lemons into Lemonade
Lyon Village
Developing An Air of Exclusivity?
Rosslyn
Hitting Its Growth Spurt
Shirlington
An Urban Village Hitting Its Stride
Del Ray
Virginia’s Small Town Near the Big City
Eisenhower Avenue
The Vibrancy Might Take a Few Years
Huntington
The Quiet Neighborhood By the Beltway
Old Town
Mayberry By The Potomac
Parkfairfax
132 Commerical-Free Acres
Downtown Falls Church
Staying the Same in the Midst of Change
Tysons Corner
Radical Change Could Be On The Way

See more Northern Virginia »

Maryland

Profiles of 14 neighborhoods in suburban Maryland

Annapolis
Small-Town Living in the State Capital
Bethesda
Bedroom Community Gets Buzzing Cache
Cabin John
In With The New While Maintaining the Old
Chevy Chase
Affluence, Green Lawns and Pricey Homes
Downtown Silver Spring
Experiencing a Resurgence After a Bumpy History
Potomac
A Suburb on Steroids
Rockville Town Square
Despite the Dynamism, Still Somewhat Generic
Takoma Park
More Than a Little Bit Quirky
Wheaton
A Foodie Magnet on the Verge of Change
Capitol Heights
Kudzu, Front Porches and Crime
Hyattsville
Glass Half Full or Half Empty?
Mount Rainier
Artists, Affordable Homes and A Silo Full of Corn
National Harbor
A Development Rises Next to the Potomac
Riverdale Park
A Town Looking For Its Identity

See more Maryland »

Northwest DC

30+ neighborhood profiles for the city's biggest quadrant

16th Street Heights
DC's Sleeper Neighborhood
Bloomingdale
Where (Almost) Everyone Knows Your Name
AU Park
One of DC’s Last Frontiers Before the Suburbs
Brightwood
DC’s Northern Neighborhood on the Cusp
Burleith
DC’s 535 House Neighborhood
Cathedral Heights
Do You Know Where That Is?
Chevy Chase DC
Not to Be Confused With the Other Chevy Chase
Cleveland Park
Coming Back After A Rough Year
Columbia Heights
DC’s Most Diverse Neighborhood, But For How Long?
Crestwood
An Island of Serenity East of the Park
Dupont Circle
The Best of DC (For a Price)
Foggy Bottom & West End
Where the Institutional Meets the International
Forest Hills
Ambassadors and Adventurous Architecture
Foxhall Village
350 Homes Just West of Georgetown
Friendship Heights
A Shopping Mecca With a Few Places to Live
Georgetown
History, Hoyas and H&M
Glover Park
One of DC’s Preppier and More Family-Friendly Neighborhoods
Kalorama
A Posh View From Embassy Row
LeDroit Park
A Quiet Enclave in the Middle of the City
Logan Circle
Trendy Now, But Not By Accident
Mount Pleasant
Sought-After Homes Surround Main Street in Transition
Mount Vernon Triangle
From Seedy to Sought-After
Palisades
The Long, Skinny Neighborhood at the City’s Northwest Edge
Park View
It’s Not Petworth
Penn Quarter/Chinatown
DC’s Go-Go-Go Neighborhood
Petworth
Getting a Vibrancy of Its Own
Shaw
The Duke’s Former Stomping Ground
Shepherd Park
DC’s Garden of Diversity
Spring Valley
A Suburb With a DC Zip Code
Takoma
Not To Be Confused With Takoma Park
Tenleytown
Not Quite Like Its Neighbors
U Street Corridor
The Difference a Decade Makes
Woodley Park
Deceptively Residential
Adams Morgan
No Longer DC’s Hippest Neighborhood, But Still Loved by Residents

See more Northwest DC »

Southwest DC

The little quadrant that could

Southwest Waterfront
A Neighborhood Where A Change Is Gonna Come

See more Southwest DC »

Northeast DC

Profiles of 10 neighborhoods in NE

Brookland
New Development Could Shake Up Pastoral Peace
Deanwood
A Little Bit of Country Just Inside the District’s Borders
Eckington
Not to Be Confused With Bloomingdale
Fort Totten
Five Years Could Make a Big Difference
H Street
A Place To Party, and To Settle Down
Langdon
The Northeast Neighborhood That Few Know About
Michigan Park
A Newsletter-On-Your-Doorstep Community
NoMa
Evolving from a Brand to a Neighborhood
Rosedale
Ripe for Investment Right About Now
Trinidad
The Difference 5 Years Makes
Woodridge
Big Houses, A Dusty Commercial Strip and Potential

See more Northeast DC »

Southeast DC

6 neighborhoods from Capitol Hill to East of the River

Capitol Riverfront
Still Growing
Hill East
Capitol Hill’s Lesser Known Neighbor
Congress Heights
Gradually Rising
Hillcrest
Notable for Its Neighborliness
Historic Anacostia
Future Promise Breeds Cautious Optimism
Eastern Market
A More European Way of Living

See more Southeast DC »

Upcoming Seminars ▾