What DC Neighborhood Would You Buy Into?

image
Across from Eastern Market. Photo by Amanda Abrams.

Today in UrbanTurf Reader Asks, a reader who recently started her home search asks an eternal question with ever-changing answers: If you were looking to purchase in the DC area, what neighborhood would you buy in?

After several months, I recently started hunting for a home to purchase in the DC area. I have been renting a below market-rate apartment for several years and have been able to save a good deal of money during that period. So, I was recently pre-approved for purchases up to $800,000, but am looking in the $600,000 to $800,000 range. I live in Shaw and debate between going west and paying more to live closer to 14th Street (or in a neighborhood like Woodley or Cleveland Park) or heading north or east to the many neighborhoods that have blossomed in the city over the past decade. Price will dictate what type of property (condo, house, etc.) I will be able to buy in a given area, so I am more interested in hearing what neighborhoods UrbanTurf readers like these days from a real estate perspective and why. Thanks!

Post your neighborhood suggestions in the comments section. It will be interesting to see what neighborhood recommendations come out compared to when a reader asked this question in 2010. Here are some of the ideas from back then:

“H Street is a good area to invest if you can still afford it.  That area is rapidly changing for the better quickly.  Some parts are more expensive (Cap Hill) than others (Trinidad/Rosedale), so there are a variety of price ranges available, any of which would be a good investment.”

Shaw is the most central neighborhood that still has affordable options relative to the surrounding neighborhoods. It is anchored by a metro, walking distance to the golden triangle, about equidistant from the White House and Capitol Hill. O Street Market and the CC Marriott are going up right now, and a lot of young homeowners have moved in and are renovating their houses. I bought a 4 bed/3 bath for $197/sqft on a quiet street last year. Six blocks west and you can’t find anything for under $400/sqft.

Mount Pleasant.  A historic quiet neighborhood with tree-lined streets and a great sense of community.  Access to metro, buses and within walking distance to the shops of Columbia Heights.  Hurry, I see homes in Mt. Pleasant selling within days of being listed.

If you would like to submit a question for UrbanTurf Reader Asks, send an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

See other articles related to: urbanturf reader asks, dclofts

This article originally published at http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/what_dc_area_neighborhood_would_you_buy_into/8118

1. Scott said at 2:53 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

I would vote for the area of Capitol Hill east of 12th Street NE and south H Street.

At the top of your price range, you could probably get a 2-3 bedroom rowhouse (although that area is pretty hot right now, so that may be optimistic).  That would put you close to H Street and not far from Eastern Market.

1. Aaron said at 2:59 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

Although the good time to buy in Logan was probably 3-4 years ago, I would appeal to your desire to be close to 14th Street. A house is not in the cards for you in that area, but you could get a nice two-bedroom, possibly with parking, for between 650 and 800.

Wherever you look, get ready for some competition. I bought a condo in Logan late last year and was in competition with 12 other buyers. Good luck!

1. Kes said at 3:05 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

With that price range, I’d vote for Petworth or Mt. Pleasant and look for a house. I would advise against purchasing a condo, partly because I would always advise against that because fees *always* go up and being able to rent out the unit isn’t a guarantee based on the Condo Association agreement, but mostly because at the range you don’t have to, so why would you? (Unless you know you will never, ever need more space and/or hate having a yard.)

I’d go with those two neighborhoods because they are more residential and less bustling & traffic-y than Columbia Heights, Logan Circle & Dupont, but still very walkable and close to Green/Yellow lines & good bus routes. Plus, you won’t have to worry as much about “waiting out” a bad block or vacant home.

I live in Trinidad and love it, but there are definitely issues with crime and irresponsible owners & landlords here that Mt. P & Petworth don’t really have any more because they are too valuable. The North of H/South of Galluadet area has similar options to Mt. P/Petworth, but also is not as Metro-accessible, and prices are getting a little ridiculous.

1. Josh said at 3:10 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

Logan, Cleveland Park, Kalorama if you are going the condo route, and I agree with @Kes on Petworth, which with your budget, could get you something very nice. Oh, also 16th Street Heights.

Sidenote: Amazing to see where prices have come since the question was asked in 2010. No way could you find a place in Shaw for under $200 a sf these days.

1. Eponymous said at 3:15 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

First, stay at the low end of your price range. Homeownership comes with upkeep expenses, a bigger place will require more furniture, and you don’t want to be “house poor.” I personally wouldn’t want a mortgage that was more than 25% of my take home pay.

Aside from that, it’s really hard to make a recommendation without knowing what is important to you. Do you work downtown and hope to be able to walk there on a nice day? If so, I would go for a condo near Logan Circle. Do you prefer to be near a lot of nightlife and young people and are ok not being near Metro? H Street. Do you really want a single family home that’s as close as possible to a Metro? Hill East. A big yard? Brookland.

For the reasons stated by a previous poster, I prefer a SFH above a condo. But it’s really a matter of personal preference. If safety and walkability to everything are non-negotiable for you, your price range will probably only allow for a condo purchase.

1. Brandon Fuller said at 3:38 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

Check out Brookland. There’s a great mix of new construction and historic homes. Now is a good time to invest with a new Meridian Pint, Busboys and Poets, and Barnes & Noble setting up shop at the Monroe Street Market. The owners of Rustik Tavern, Smith Commons, and The Pug are each opening a different restaurant on 12th street in the center of Brookland. The area is quaint, with a small town vibe, just two metro stops from Union Station.

1. sara-dc said at 3:44 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

I agree with another who advise to buy a house/rowhouse if you can(instead of being stuck in a condo w/all their laws and high condo fees—that which I’m stuck—but OK about as I love the neighborhood). I live in SW Waterfront and besides hating our condo Board (for endless laws) and my almost $600 condo fee each month, I love being close to the water and can hear the Nats fans (when they’re winning!). Unfortunately there’s not much for sale out here in the SW or Navy Yard area unless you don’t mind the condo fees or board. Like others, I suggest South of H ST NE, or if you want to be closer on the metro, maybe off RI Ave? Good luck!

1. Janson said at 3:46 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

While a home should never primarily be an investment, I keep being interested in the emerging areas around new DC development. The redevelopment of the Mcmillan filtration plant and Walter Reed seem likely to be transformational for the areas around them, and soon. See Columbia Heights just eight years ago. The east side of 7th street south of Florida is also on the cusp of having an enormous number of new (and new kinds of) services. While those are the three areas I’d speculate in, I personally prefer living smaller in the middle of it all - between Dupont, U, and 14th.

1. kob said at 3:48 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

Consider the area from Mount Pleasant to Adams Mill, north of Columbia. Many single family homes, and smaller-type condo buildings. Mature, quiet neighborhoods, well served by bus and Columbia Heights, Mount Pleasant and Adams Morgan areas are right there. Two Metro stops in 15 min walks, but well served by buses, including the Circulator that starts at Woodley, goes down Columbia/to Irving, and down 14th.

1. DomRep said at 3:52 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

If you don’t mind condo fees, SW Waterfront. I mean I’m sure there’s some single family housing available if you look hard enough, but if you’re just starting now and unless you’re loaded, there’s a good chance you’ve been priced out of 90% of the city. With the recent news of the redevelopment, the prices are going to be up there with the current trendy neighborhoods. Now would be a good time to buy.

Now that I think about it, back in 2010 it was probably a good time to buy in SW Waterfront then.

1. Anon said at 3:56 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

Shaw. It’s central, close to metro, walkable, and on the upswing.

1. Anon said at 3:56 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

+1 to response by Kes. Petworth, Manor Park, Brightwood are all relatively affordable areas if you want to purchase a SFH or a townhouse in a neighborhood with huge potential for growth. Many of these places have high home ownership rates and quick access to bus routes and other public transit. Not to mention the areas are filled with exciting redevelopment plans along neighborhood urban corridors like Kennedy Street NW and PUD’s like Walter Reed.

1. Olde Tymer said at 3:58 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

The best thing to remember is that past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.  Yes the city is booming now, but that does not mean it will continue.  DC was a sh!thole during the 70s, 80s, and part of the 90s.  Don’t think it couldn’t happen again.

1. Justin S said at 4:01 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

Whatever you decide, try to think more long-term than you’re probably used to thinking. If you’re planning on living there, is that a place you imagine the “you, in 5 or 10 years” wants to live, or is it a place the “you, right now” wants to live?

I bought a place that wasn’t quite what I wanted when I was single and in my 20’s, but now that I’m with someone and in my 30’s, it’s kind of perfect… but that was luck, not planning.

1. BFBoss said at 4:01 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

There was quite a bit of time between my decision to buy a place and the actual purchase, so I had lots of conversations with friends, colleagues, random strangers, etc. about the where, why and how of my impending purchase.  In the end, the best advice came from my realtor, who encouraged me to talk a lot, and not just about what I wanted in a house, but about what my life is like.  He listened and really got me, encouraged me to buy in a location I hadn’t been considering for some frankly superficial reasons, but he found me a place in a very short amount of time that was everything I wanted in a house. Find a good realtor who knows the regional market well, who will listen and catch clues about who you are that you don’t even know you’re giving, and who will work hard for you like you’re their only client.  You’ll find your place. Unless you’re looking for an investment property there’s 20 other factors you’ll want to look at besides what n’hoods are hot in order to find your “home.”

1. Rick said at 4:03 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

Shaw/Truxton/Bloomingdale/Eckington.  Very centralized and you can still snag a rowhouse in that range.  Find one with an English basement and subsidize your house payment.

1. Justin S said at 4:05 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

*to contrast, try to avoid buying into a location that you think the “you right now” might enjoy, once it undergoes 5-10 years of transition… odds are good that by the time the neighborhood is the way you (right now) had hoped it would be, you’ll want something different. The perfect bachelor pad won’t seem so cool if you’re married, have a kid, and the noise from the epic nearby bar (that you never go to) keeps you up all night!

1. PR said at 4:06 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

Very nice topic and discussion.  I would love to see an article soliciting some neighborhood recommendations for the $500k range, too.  Most people I know shopping in that range are really struggling to find anything in any somewhat-active/on-the-way-to-walkable neighborhood. There are way too many young families and couples trying to buy a first home here.

1. Reader said at 4:09 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

WOW! I was the reader who asked and am thoroughly floored by the quick and prolific response.

I am reading through the comments now and will get back with answers to any questions that were asked.

Thanks again!

1. Robert said at 4:20 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

I searched the H street Area for at least 6 Months last year before deciding to finally establish roots in Fort Lincoln, in the Dakota Crossing Development.  My agent kept telling me that this was the time to get in on H street and I’m sure she was right, however, at the end of the day I decided that the peace of mind of a brand new home, suburban feel in the city with next to no loitering at a an awesome price was more important than speculating on a large return on investment.  Metro service is limited to the bus, however, my job requires me to drive so it’s not a big deal.

1. LT said at 4:20 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

Petworth, Brightwood, Brightwood Park, Brookland—good housing stock, parts are walkable or on the way, good value on the dollar compared to come-and-gone/hot hoods, property values increasing, development on the rise, residential feel with easy access to everything.

PR, with the exception of Petworth, this would apply to your query about the $500k range as well.

1. Reader said at 4:26 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

@Eponymous

Thanks for the extra questions, but I actually don’t have answers to all of them (and I appreciate you providing your own)!

I do work downtown, but am fine commuting by car/public transit for a home I love. I would like to be near Metro, but don’t have to be near nightlife. And a yard would be nice, but so would being within a 5 minute walk of a slew of restaurants.

1. JB said at 4:29 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

You can find a house in the 600 range in Park View/Pleasant Plaines/Columbia Heights.

1. Patrick Killelea said at 4:34 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:
  1. 20007 Lover said at 4:34 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

For investment purposes, Brookland and Trinidad.

1. Lexicon said at 4:39 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

I moved from a condo at 14th & U to a rowhouse south of H St., north of East Capitol and love it.  I was worried that I’d miss being literally a block away from all the restaurants and bars and only a mile from my office but I really don’t.  A bus takes me pretty much door to door for work and I can still walk to plenty thanks to all the new stuff on H Street and Barracks Row.  Plus, I now frequent Eastern Market and Lincoln Park and even walk to Nats Park or the river on nice days.  Right now inventory is low and and the neighborhood has gotten more expensive, but if you can afford it, I completely endorse Capitol Hill NE.

1. LT said at 4:40 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

@Patrick Killelea Most of that is entirely off base, blatantly false, and some is downright alarmist. Moreover, hardly any of that applies to the DC market.

1. John said at 4:44 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

Trinidad, there is no better investment in NW or NE right now. You are close to H Street, Union Market area and only a 20-25 minute walk to the metro. You can be on the hill in less than 5 minutes via car and Chinatown in 10 minutes. Many renovated homes sell for less than 500k. Issues with crime will persist, but that is changing. There are pockets where crime stats are significantly less than C. Heights, Shaw, Bloomingdale and even Logan. My wife and I have lived in Trinidad almost a year having moved from Shaw and absolutely love it! We purchased a condo in Shaw almost 7 years ago and Trinidad feels way safer than Shaw in 06/07.

1. Jay said at 4:51 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

SIXTEENTH STREET HEIGHTS.  No question.  It offers a huge bang for the buck, is very nice, and is still quite convenient to everything in town.  Plus, the school zoning is for Deal & Wilson.

1. Dan said at 4:55 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

The area surrounding the Potomac Ave metro is just starting to pick up re: construction/remodels, anchored by a couple of older properties.  Definitely can find a nice corner row house in the 700s - the inventory is still there.  On the lower end, I’ll put my long-range money on SW.  The impending stadium deal, Future N-S BRT/streetcar corridor, and talk of additional metro stops with the long-range metro downtown loop provide ample guards up to protect your investment.

1. Klontz said at 4:57 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

Buying a house shouldn’t be a romantic decision—it should be a financial decision.

The first thing to assess is where your life is headed. Do you plan on being in the same city (or even neighborhood) for the next few years? If not, then owning property isn’t in your immediate future, because, in general, it takes time for property to appreciate. You also need to decide how much you can actually afford.

There are a lot of costs that come with home ownership besides your down payment. One of the most common home-buying mistakes people make is thinking that they’re merely trading a rent payment for a mortgage. You’ll also want to estimate the property taxes and insurance of any property you consider, plus any renovations you’d need to do, then decide if the place is within your reach.

In the end, the biggest mistake isn’t not buying a home—it’s buying too much home for your budget.

1. Mel said at 5:08 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

I’m enjoying Mt. Vernon Triangle, right between Chinatown and Union Station. Lots of new places opening up. Its very central and convenient to get everywhere.

1. MJ said at 5:27 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

Budget aside, I think the best neighborhoods to live in are Capitol Hill proper (historic section), followed by Logan Circle. They are just architecturally beautiful and full of restaurants and businesses. They are the types of neighborhoods you want to live in and walk everywhere.

However, in the $600-$800K budget of the OP, he/she should realistically look at NOMA/Truxton Circle, Petworth/Park View, or Ledroit/Bloomingdale instead, simply because they fit the budget but can be metroable (key for resale).

1. ann said at 5:46 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

Overall Southwest is a great neighborhood - not only now but for future growth.  the Wharf project will only add to property values here.
    Don’t always be put off by condo or coop fees - remember upkeep expenses on a house always go up as well. However if you are thinking of the future and using the home as an investment, stick to condos as they do not such restrictive rules on renting your unit.

1. house is home said at 5:58 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

I moved into the district 2 years ago and these are the things I love about the Navy Yard neighborhood:
    1.  New rowhouse but old look—low maintenance cost on repairs because everything is new.
    2. Everyone in the neighborhood is new too—so if you don’t have kids or a ready-made set of friends, it’s much easier to meet people who are also new to the neighborhood.
    3. Free concerts and other events at Yards Park.
    4.  Walk to Nats Park
    5.  Walk to Barrack’s Row
    6.  Walk to the Capitol
    7.  2 blocks from Navy yard Metro (Green)
    8.  10 minute stroll to Capitol South Metro (Orange blue)
    9.  Protected parking for residents (in some buildings - be sure to check this if you have a car).  I have a garage spot and RPP and a VPP.
    10.  I see fireworks over the river from my rooftop terrace on holidays and when the Nats use fireworks.
    12.  I can hear the roar of the crowd at Nats Park.
    13.  I’m looking forward to a new soccer stadium within walking distance (maybe).
    14.  Maybe a new velodome
    15.  Southwest Waterfront is walkable (I hop on CaBi) and that will start redevelopment soon.
    16.  There are new condos and new lofts going up NOW—I recommend buying NEW because you get the benefit of builder warranties.  It’s a nice perk.

1. BB said at 6:17 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

I second the potomac ave area! Just bought a row home there earlier in 2013 and absolutely love it. At first we were looking only in Petworth and closer to H Street, but after seeing a few in the Potomac Ave area we were sold.

The Potomac Ave neighborhood is definitely changing. It is also a great location, right on the orange and blue lines and highway accessible. It is definitely less dense the the 14th street area and doesn’t have as many amenities within walking distance but it also has a great neighborhood feel. You are also within walking distance of eastern market & barracks row.

1. Soozles said at 6:39 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

16th St. Heights or Mt. Pleasant most definitely—-great neighborhoods, homes, bus lines and yellow/green line.

1. mona said at 8:27 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

I have owned 5 homes in DC 3 on the Hill, one in Petworth and one in Bloomingdale. Goods and bads…The Hill is great, trendy places to eat, walkable. Good location to highway and subways and accessing downtown. Downsides…the Hill has some really narrow homes so make wise decisions on furniture. Parking..make sure you buy house with parking in rear on the hill or you won’t be parking. If you like them big the hill may not be for you. Neighbors aren’t always the warmest folks around cause busy with work and kids so you may not get to know neighbors that well other then in passing. If that doesn’t bother you no big deal. Petworth….Big house, lots of bang for your buck there. House was in Petworth but many referred to it as 16th st heights and Columbia Heights because it was in the SW corner of Petworth and close to all those. I had 2 parking spaces in the rear, yard for dog with big tree. Downsides….not exactly where I wanted it to be as far as crime and safety. The area is just now really turning around and the price of homes are showing it. I still own that home and rent out main house and basement(legally) and they are good rents that cover more than the mortgage so turned out to be really good home and investment. Bloomingdale…love it here, great neighbors, great big Victorian home that I bought at bottom of market so got for good price. There was just recently a home that sold for > 1 million but it was big and had 2 bedroom legal rental. Biggest problem with Bloomingdale is there are very few homes for sale here now and when good ones come on they are gone fast and over asking. Some condos but I agree with other readers about condos and the fees and the condo boards..ugh. Bloomingdale is really having a boom lately and prices are starting to reflect it. Downside to Bloomingdale…metro isn’t as close as some would like but Howard U. Metro is reasonable walk. Buses on N. Capital and RI ave. It is sandwiched between Georgia Ave and N. Capital so you have aware of things like what is in your car on the street and who is around you but you should do that no matter where you are in the city. I feel way less crime in Bloomingdale then Petworth but more due to very social and active neighbors who aren’t afraid to call the police…..I haven’t owned a home there but Brookland looks like you can get a lot of bang for your buck. If I buy another home I intend to buy a single family not row house in that area…..my two cent

1. Kea said at 9:22 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

I live in Woodridge Neighborhood and love it. It’s quiet but still close to the city. The houses are being renovated and still selling for a decent price. Plus most of the lots are huge and parking is never an issue. Check out Woodridge 20018

1. Tom Russell said at 11:02 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

I would say Petworth as some of the other commenters have said… Not only does it have great housing stock, but it also is easy to get to anywhere in the city.  Quick access to a Metro, tons of bike lanes, 13th St leads directly to downtown and its easy to hop on Rock Creek Parkway to head to Georgetown or Virginia. Silver Spring is just up Georgia.  The neighborhood has a nice neighborly feel and there is a new Safeway the largest in the city) opening this Spring.  I think once that opens, things will really pick up.  Chez Billy is an excellent dining option and the Upshur Corridor has a nice buzz with another new restaurant scheduled to arrive this summer.  It could use some more family friendly options like a solid deli (So’s Your Ma or Taylor Gourmet) and perhaps an ice cream shoppe, but with all the development and all of the new families moving in, its only a matter of time.

1. Curtis said at 12:52 am on Thursday February 13, 2014:

Hands down Brookland!! Close to downtown via metro/bus routes and almost everyone has parking so it’s never an issue. The new Monroe street market is just starting to fill up and the potential for 12th street is great. It feels like a small town with lots if great neighbors. We sold our 650 sq ft row house in shaw in 2011 and moved into a 3800 sq ft place in Brookland. Large yards and great trees ( Casey trees HQ is here too). Check out “theBrooklandbridge” blog. No matter what. But a house not a condo! Good luck!

1. mrblecky said at 8:54 am on Thursday February 13, 2014:

petworth. it reminds me of mt. pleasant or 14th street before they gentrified. the houses are huge, they’re close to the metro and the prices are climbing quickly. we bought a place last year, and paid way, way, way over the asking price

1. dcsteve said at 8:54 am on Thursday February 13, 2014:

Anacostia!!!! cross the new 11th and buy buy buy in the historic district ,,any turn of the century wooden structure…start at the Frederick Douglas home…

1. PR said at 11:30 am on Thursday February 13, 2014:

Is there a perception vs. reality issue with Brookland, or just a very low inventory right now?  I see only 4 listings under $800k: one needs a complete rehab, and two appear to be questionable flips.  The one that looks all right is basically on the border of Brookland and Woodridge.  Brookland seems to have really escalated in just the past year.

Then again, it’s winter, so not exactly a hot time for sales.

1. Jay said at 12:04 pm on Thursday February 13, 2014:

I live in Logan area and love the convenience of walking and being carless.  I’d recommend looking to the east. You get a somewhat inexplicable discount every block east of the circle.  A lot of people still haven’t quite realized how much change is coming to 9th, 7th and even 11th.  I think in 10 years new residents to DC will be surprised there was a huge price differential between Dupont and Logan and between Logan and Shaw.  Obviously you have to make your own assessments about crime issues.

1. PJ said at 12:24 pm on Thursday February 13, 2014:

If the top is $800,000 you’re willing to spend, I say move to Baltimore, buy an awesome house for $400,000, buy a new car and laugh at your broke friends in condos.

1. GoCaps! said at 1:14 pm on Thursday February 13, 2014:

I would HIGHLY recommend buying in either Bloomingdale (although it may be tough to go under $800k for a house) or just south of Bloomingdale in Truxton Circle.  I think that the First St NW corridor is great and feels very safe all the way down to New York avenue.  The new Dunbar is absolutely gorgeous. Safeway and Harris Teeter are a stone’s throw away.  10-12 minute walk to NoMa (red line) and either Shaw or Convention Center (green/yellow line).  Easy ~15 minute walk to U street. There’s still a lot of value in this area.

1. CommonDenominator said at 1:32 pm on Thursday February 13, 2014:

@Jay said at 3:51 pm on Wednesday February 12, 2014:

“...the school zoning is for Deal & Wilson.”

I hear a zoning change is on the table re: Deal

If schools will matter zips 20015 & 20016. Otherwise go Shaw, Bloomingdale, Brookland, Ledroit.

1. Emy said at 1:34 pm on Thursday February 13, 2014:

We bought and moved into our home on 16th St NW in Brightwood in September 2013. So far, we love it! There’s a house on the market at the top end of your price range 2 blocks North of us. And several in the neighborhood within your price range.

-We’re close to Rock Creek Park, the 16th St S buses get connect you the rest of The District and Silver Spring quickly and anytime of day or night.
    -The development of the Walter Reed property will improve our walkability score and increase property values in the near future.
    -We have Columbia Heights just 2 miles South, Wal-Mart, and Safeway within walking distance, city tennis and basketball courts.
    -The neighbors are friendly and the Brightwood Community Association is growing and active.

We have the peaceful neighborhood feel of the far suburbs with all the conveniences of the city. Come check us out!

1. Emily said at 1:38 pm on Thursday February 13, 2014:

PS- Most of the houses here are single family, which was the biggest draw for us after we saw some renovated row homes sharing walls with neighbors who weren’t maintaing their homes.

If you’re going to invest so much money in a place, do you really want the added stress of worrying about how your neighbor’s lack of maintenance is going to very directly cost you money?

1. CommonDenominator said at 1:39 pm on Thursday February 13, 2014:

Did anybody see this listing today? Good location & two parking spaces!!!!  Already under contract.

1. a said at 6:39 pm on Thursday February 13, 2014:

I’d say that unless you have a very specific game plan for getting in and out of a property, buy a place that, if for whatever reason, you get “stuck” with it for a very long time (i.e., downturn in the economy, financial situation, etc.), you would be happy being there or dealing with the neighborhood.  Also, consider feeling comfortable walking around your neighborhood and feeling comfortable doing so, day or night.  Lived in 4 locations in DC - Georgetown, West End, Capitol Hill East and between Dupont/Logan, and the latter has been my favorite by far.  The ability to walk to many things, even just for grocery shopping, is fantastic.  Capitol Hill East was least favorable because I felt isolated from rest of the city and was not (and am still not) as enamored with H Street as many people are; on the upside, some nice buildings there and 8th Street/Lincoln Park are really nice.  In any case, at least for me, the ease, convenience, and lifestyle value of being able to walk quickly and easily to many things (food, gym, some retail, work, etc.) can be quite valuable; one factor to consider.

1. Jerry said at 6:52 pm on Thursday February 13, 2014:

I am considering investing in Woodridge lots and starting to build +/-3000sf homes. They would be 4 bedroom homes with high quality contemporary finishes. I would target the $750k price range. Please tell me if you think there would be interest and why?

Thx

1. James said at 9:39 am on Saturday February 15, 2014:

I would wait a few more years before buying near H St. For us, it is not “there” yet. Still lots of loitering, racist remarks to passersby, public drinking and urination, high-volume gibberish, loud hip-hop music emanating from cars, and generally childish behavior (by adults, no less).

In a few years, economic factors will correct the culture clashes that currently exist in the area.

1. Ronny said at 12:31 pm on Tuesday February 18, 2014:

I would suggest Park View as it is in between two metros and walkable to 11th street corridor and inevitable GA Petworth Metro. Great, still somewhat affordable area in the city

1. WV said at 12:39 pm on Tuesday February 18, 2014:

John at 3:44pm, while I don’t mind Trinidad your sales pitch is a bit hollow. ‘Only’ a 20-25 minute walk to the metro is far, especially in a transitioning area. Also your comparison to Shaw 06/07 is ridiculous given how much has changed in the city in 7-8 years