UrbanTurf Reader Asks: What is the Best Moving Company in DC?

by Mark Wellborn

In this installment of UrbanTurf Reader Asks, a reader who will be moving soon from a rental apartment to a home he just bought is looking for recommendations for the best moving companies in DC.

In a couple months, I will be moving from a one-bedroom apartment I have been renting in Dupont Circle for the past three years to a two-bedroom condo I recently bought in Logan Circle. In the past, I have always called on friends to help me out, but for this upcoming move I am considering hiring professionals.

I have contacted a number of companies that charge hourly (around $80-$85 for two movers) or a flat rate fee for the day. I am still in the process of researching, so would love to know if anyone has good recommendations for particularly efficient and reputable companies.

Post your thoughts in the comments section. If you would like to submit a question for UrbanTurf Reader Asks, send an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

See other articles related to: urbanturf reader asks

This article originally published at http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/urbanturf_reader_asks_what_is_the_best_moving_company_in_dc/2186

1. AP said at 11:22 am on Monday June 21, 2010:

I had an excellent experience with Great Scott Movers.  They were on-time, reasonably priced, and considerate of my belongings.

1. BD said at 11:36 am on Monday June 21, 2010:

My girlfriend had a great experience with Two Marines and a Truck.

1. Ben said at 11:37 am on Monday June 21, 2010:

I always recommend My Truck Buddy (http://mytruckbuddy.com/) to people.  They’re very highly rated on Yelp and I’ve heard nothing but great things.  The owner, Chris, is a local DC guy.

1. Allison said at 11:53 am on Monday June 21, 2010:

Great Scott are…great. What are the rates like for mytruckbuddy?

1. William Murray said at 11:58 am on Monday June 21, 2010:

I had a great experience with Georgetown Movers.

- They called to let me know they were running late, and let me know exactly when to expect them. And they were only 15 minutes late!
    - They took the utmost care of my belongings, wrapping everything and making sure that it all arrived unscathed.
    - They dealt with a complicated move in a professional manner, including three pick-up locations (one of which was a three-story walk-up with no elevator) and one missing client (my roommate’s grandfather passed away the day before, so I had to oversee her part of the process while she attended the wake and funeral).

I have nothing but positive things to say about them. Highly recommended.

1. Chris said at 12:22 pm on Monday June 21, 2010:

Chris with MyTruckBuddy.com here. I don’t know if we’re THE BEST moving company, but we do the best job we can with each and every customer. I’ve brought on board guys who have more than just lifting and stacking talents—I look for guys who can make the often hellish process of moving go by fast and even FUN. I’ve had several people say that having MTB move them was like having their big brothers help out—but not in the Orwellian sense. Lol.

Check out the site for more info about us. I’m actually looking to fill the calendar with some jobs this week—the middle of the month is always a little slower. The end of June and the beginning of July is pretty close to maximum capacity, but July opens up quite a bit.

Thanks for considering MTB!

1. SP said at 12:39 pm on Monday June 21, 2010:

I’ve had two good moves with Big Green Moving Co. - one in-town, the other cross-state. Rates seemed really reasonable, it was easy to book with them, and the movers were both quick and careful.

1. Josh Louria said at 1:59 pm on Monday June 21, 2010:

I just moved THIS WEEKEND with My Truck Buddy (someone else gave their website in this post). They were awesome, even with a three-part job in the heat on Saturday. They also appreciated the music I had playing (Avett Brothers).

1. gk said at 2:29 pm on Monday June 21, 2010:

i’ll echo the recommendations for great scott.  i’ve used them twice in the past six months and they were fantastic both times.  professional, fast, hard working, and reasonably priced.

1. ricky2batz said at 2:35 pm on Monday June 21, 2010:

Gulliver’s Movers moved our grand piano twice—in & out of our townhouse.  Very professional, did a great job both times.

1. KstreetQB said at 3:48 pm on Monday June 21, 2010:

Majestic Movers. They moved both my girlfriend and my entire appartments into our new (hundred year old) house. They took good care of everything, but moved FAST. We were done in about an hour.

1. namllih said at 5:00 pm on Monday June 21, 2010:

Omega Vanlines Inc are straight up criminals.  I was ripped off pretty good by them a couple years back.

1. Erin said at 8:39 pm on Monday June 21, 2010:

MyTruckBuddy.com does a great job!  I have used them personally and referred them to clients who have had nothing but great things to say post move.  Moving is stressful enough and it’s refreshing to have movers that work hard but also make the move as enjoyable as it can be.  Good luck!

1. emh said at 8:41 pm on Monday June 21, 2010:

I had a really bad experience with Gulliver’s when I first moved to DC.  May have just been a bad crew, but I would not recommend them to anyone.

1. Louise said at 8:22 am on Tuesday June 22, 2010:

I second the Two Marines and a Truck recc.  They did a phenomenal job, went beyond what I expected, came early and finished under budget.  Also, you get to support Marine vets.  They were total professionals.

1. Kara said at 11:13 am on Tuesday June 22, 2010:

I have moved with both Great Scott and My Truck Buddy, and I preferred My Truck Buddy.  Great guys, great service, great price.

1. jj said at 11:27 am on Tuesday June 22, 2010:

j&k movers were a bit odd. they left 6 boxes and two table extensions on their truck and didn’t return them, it took 9 months to get a claim for damaged goods, and even though i took out their insurance, they only paid 10 cents on the dollar. do not ust them. yes, i understand they moved the obamas’ into penn ave, but really…poor slow service and they showed up three hours late. FAIL!

1. Jonathan said at 11:45 am on Tuesday June 22, 2010:

I’d recommend Cathedral Movers(http://cathedralmovers.com/). I’ve used them 3 times in the past 5 years and each time they’ve been perfect - nothing broken, on time, up front, fast and easy to work with. They just moved me last week and once again the experience was completely painless.

1. SS said at 11:47 am on Tuesday June 22, 2010:

I second Gulliver’s Movers.  Moved in Jan from a rowhouse to a SFH.  They were great.

1. Jeff said at 1:02 pm on Tuesday June 22, 2010:

I’ve used Titan Movers out of Alexandria about four times…they’ve always done a great job.  My colleague used them, but also had special antique movers fro a few pieces…he said Titan was way-better than the specialty movers….

1. daytripperwhit said at 1:59 pm on Tuesday June 22, 2010:

I agree with the poster above about Omega Van Lines.  They stole the only thing I had of value - some nice jewelry, and the claim I filed went no where.  I wish I had called the police.  Overcharged and broke things.  Do NOT use them.

1. Agnes said at 2:05 pm on Tuesday June 22, 2010:

Definitely call Steve Morgan at Advantage Movers (http://www.movewithadvantage.com)

1. b said at 5:26 pm on Tuesday June 22, 2010:

I’ll give a nod to Great Scott—we had an excellent experience and they were hard working, efficient and very pleasant to deal with. Fairly priced too.

1. Steven said at 8:42 pm on Tuesday June 22, 2010:

I had a good experience with Beltway Movers last year.

1. Friedie said at 11:17 pm on Saturday October 23, 2010:

I had a really great experience with Georgetown Moving and Storage http://www.georgetownmoving.com

1. Indianapolis Movers said at 10:23 am on Tuesday July 5, 2011:

My experience with Advantage Movers was just amazing. Must say best. Thanks.

1. johntree572 said at 1:45 pm on Wednesday July 27, 2011:

Hope you find the best moving company in DC. If you are looking for the best moving company I would try

1. john tamos said at 2:00 pm on Thursday March 29, 2012:

I’ve used these guys for my last two moves and I’ve never had such simultaneously chill and competent movers.  http://bookstoremovers.com/

They just won DC Citypaper’s Best Movers of 2012 too.

1. Paul said at 3:11 pm on Thursday July 17, 2014:

Sorry for getting in so late on this, but I had a good experience with My Guys Moving http://www.myguysmoving.com/ . There weren’t a lot of hassles or problems, and the employees were more professional than other companies I’ve tried in the past.