UrbanTurf Reader Asks: What Are the Good Property Management Companies in DC?

In this installment of UrbanTurf Reader Asks, a reader who is deciding between selling and renting his condo asks the UrbanTurf audience for recommendations of good property management companies in DC.

As a first-time home owner whose looking to put their condo on the market in one way or another (sell or lease), I am currently in the market for a reliable and reasonably-priced property management company. I was hoping if the UrbanTurf audience could provide me with a few suggestions, so I could thoroughly explore the option of leasing my property.

Post your thoughts in the comments section. If you would like to submit a question for UrbanTurf Reader Asks, send an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

See other articles related to: urbanturf reader asks, property management

This article originally published at http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/urbanturf_reader_asks_what_are_the_good_property_management_companies/3033

1. SimonF said at 4:04 pm on Tuesday February 22, 2011:

I have only heard good things about Kettler, but they may not do single apartments.

1. tt said at 4:29 pm on Tuesday February 22, 2011:

In my opinion it all comes down to the money they charge—I’ve found that with the reputable big guys there isnt a lot of service difference.  Im curious what others are paying but I shopped around and found rates anywhere from 7.5% to 10% of a month’s rent to manage my property.  I use Chatel Real Estate and really like them.

1. anon said at 4:39 pm on Tuesday February 22, 2011:

For furnished, short-term management, Attache Property Management is the way to go.  http://www.attacheproperty.com/

1. dcer said at 5:29 pm on Tuesday February 22, 2011:

I can’t tell you who to use, but I can say AVOID EJF Real Estate.  They’ll take your money and not only deny your renters any maintenance and upkeep services, but also refuse to return phone calls.  (e.g., my renter encountered a slow but steady leak in kitchen of my condo and called EJF hotline immediately. They didn’t respond that same (business) day, so he called again. and again.  for three days in a row.  The leak ruined two cabinets and could have seriously damaged the pipe and flooring below.)  Consider yourself WARNED!!

1. dchs said at 11:15 am on Wednesday February 23, 2011:

Agree with dcer, EJF talks a good game, but they are unresponsive, and won’t take responsibility for their mistakes.  After EJF, we decided to manage our rental unit ourselves, and it has been not only more profitable, but less work, since we don’t have to spend as much time dealing with EJF’s incompetence.

1. DC4ME said at 3:46 pm on Wednesday February 23, 2011:

I don’t know who is good, but I know Weichert Property Management is horrific. They had a man mismanaging accounts for years, they didn’t follow basic DC renting rules, and the current property manager is unresponsive. Even their receptionist is rude. If you want terribly unhappy tenants, use Weichert.

1. AJ said at 3:51 pm on Wednesday February 23, 2011:

I’m pretty happy with Tilton Bernstein.

1. Chad said at 4:03 pm on Wednesday February 23, 2011:

For those on Capitol Hill, avoid Yarmouth Management.  I’ve used them for some properties and they are woefully disorganized, fail to keep track of paperwork and have horrible communications.  Judging from Yelp, others feel the same.  On the other hand, I’ve used Nomadic Real Estate to find tenants and run checks and have been pleased with responsiveness and results.

1. SHDC said at 4:15 pm on Wednesday February 23, 2011:

I own a condo in a building in Columbia Heights and we use Delbe Management - true professionals, responsive and fees are very reasonable.

1. John Lumsden said at 4:26 pm on Wednesday February 23, 2011:

Please call me if you decide to sell. You will be pleased. 202.288.3185

1. Pat said at 5:19 pm on Wednesday February 23, 2011:

Try Property Management Solutions - very reasonable.  Email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

1. Felicity said at 5:28 pm on Wednesday February 23, 2011:

Run, don’t walk, from Delbe.  I’m glad SHDC has a good experience with them, but I know many who have not.  Similar forums, including an Urban Turf one on this topic a year ago, have many detailed complaints re: Delbe accounting and lack of response.

1. Kate said at 6:19 pm on Wednesday February 23, 2011:

As a renter I’ve had really good luck for years with Evolve.  Pretty much immediate responses to things like leaking water and next business day responses or sooner regular things like a garbage disopal that is acting up.

1. Margo said at 6:20 pm on Wednesday February 23, 2011:

Cindy roupe at McEnarney Associates is an excellet p.m. - 703 549 9202

1. JTS said at 7:28 pm on Wednesday February 23, 2011:

I HIGHLY recommend Slate Properties. I own a condo in DC and they have managed my place since my husband and I bought a house. They are fantastic - responsive, professional, and reasonable - lowest fee I was quoted when looking for a property manager.  check them out - http://www.slatepropertiesdc.com

1. Kris Henry said at 8:31 pm on Wednesday February 23, 2011:

Key Property Management Services is great. They offer programs for the residents and have reasonable prices.

1. CRD said at 11:50 pm on Wednesday February 23, 2011:

We have been very happy with River Rock Management. They offer full service management for just 8%, plus they come out once a quarter and check on our place as a routine service which is great piece of mind. check them out at http://www.RiverRockManagement.com - highly recommended!

1. Kouji said at 11:28 am on Friday February 25, 2011:

Thanks for all the input. It is greatly appreciated and I will definitely take everything in to consideration.

1. avril said at 7:44 am on Monday April 18, 2011:

I work with Triumph property management( http://www.triumphpropertymanagement.com ) since 2005 and I can say they are now part of my family.They stoled my appreciation from the first months when I saw what a great job they are doing with my Las Vegas properties. they offer all services and full involvement in everything they do.

1. marc said at 10:39 am on Wednesday June 8, 2011:

Linear, LLC Great company superbly managed and staffed.  The owner is very responsive to all needs and works well with both Boards and Tenants.  Don’t know if they do individual units but if they do you should definitely look in to them.  Professional, responsible, reasonable.

1. Sam Jones said at 11:24 am on Wednesday February 1, 2012:

WARNING!!EJF: WORST COMPANY IN HISTORY:EJF Real Estate Servies This company sounded professional and said all of the right things before we hired them to manage multiple properties in DC.  Everything was smooth for the first 6 months and then the maintained bills came pouring in.  We received bills for painting, floor cleaning, outrages management fees for things that didn’t need to be done.  These properties were in tip top shape when we gave them to EJF.  These charges were all bogus charges and half the time the work never took place.  They would not give us the renters info so we can verify what was going on.  We had to show up at the properties and talk to the renters to verify they were scaming us.  Sometimes the maintained fees we more expensive that the repairs.  I have never been so dissatisfied and taken advantage of in my life.  This company nicked and dimes me to death until I had to fire them.  I am in the process of filing a law suite to retrieve all of the month that this company stole.  This company is full of lies and scams and I should have done better research before I hired this horrible horrible company.

1. Jack Hensen said at 5:56 pm on Monday April 1, 2013:

I highly DISAGREE with user JTS above. Slate Properties is an unbelievably AWFUL property management company. It took this company 2 weeks to respond to our requests. Not once did Andrew (the broker) or his Dad, Steve, ever, ever answer either their cell phone OR office line.

They are unbelievably UNPROFESSIONAL and apathetic about their jobs. Your experience was likely a rare exception, JTS, based on what many people I know have thought of Slate Properties LLC.

1. JK said at 6:40 pm on Wednesday July 10, 2013:

Don’t use Yarmouth. They needed to do a simple paint job, that turned into an environmental (lead) disaster, then tried to say that it was the owners that needed to pay the bill. Cost is over $20,000.

1. MP said at 12:08 am on Saturday July 20, 2013:

Don’t don’t don’t use Tilton Bernstein.  Rude, obnoxious, unresponsive and this is for the condo owners! We are shocked at the rude notes from Richard - not at all what we expected.

1. NM said at 12:12 pm on Sunday October 13, 2013:

We have been happy with Real Property Management DC.  They have always taken care of our unit and found us good tenants.  They also do the quarterly inspection, and I really like that.  I get to see pictures of how the tenant is taking care of the property.
    In the past they were hard to get a hold of some times, but they have hired better employees.  Good Luck!

1. DCBC said at 1:48 pm on Monday December 9, 2013:

We’re really happy with Gordon James Realty. I decided to go with them bc a friend recommended them but I really love working with Tom. I travel a lot and he’s always available when I need him but for the most part I can focus on my business bc I know these guys are taking care of my house. He gave me a free consultation when I said I was recommended by a friend so I’d advise the same to get a feel for their business and see if you like it!