$160,000 Above Asking: Logan Circle’s Unique Carriage House Sells

by Shilpi Paul

image
1413-1415 Swann Street NW

When UrbanTurf featured this Logan Circle garage-turned-carriage house as one of our Unique Spaces earlier this month, readers expressed a lot of excitement.

The owners had spent seven years turning what was once a garage into a home with a built-in espresso maker, a green roof, and a polished concrete countertop, all within what has the feel of a Brooklyn loft.

image

Well, after receiving eight offers, the home just sold for in an all-cash deal with no contingencies…for $160,000 above its $735,000 asking price.

• Address: 1413-1415 Swann Street NW, Carriage House (map)
  • Asking Price: $735,000
  • Sale Price: $895,000
  • Bedrooms: Two
  • Bathrooms: Two
  • Square Footage: 1,435
  • Listing Agents: Martin Toews and Jeff Brier, Coldwell Banker
image
image

See other articles related to: unique spaces, under contract, logan circle, dclofts, carriage house

This article originally published at http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/160000_above_asking_logan_circles_unique_carriage_house/5740

1. David said at 9:41 pm on Tuesday September 25, 2012:

I’m happy for the owners, but that’s ridiculous!

1. KTP said at 9:55 am on Wednesday September 26, 2012:

Glad the owners made bank, but the new ones totally overpaid.  You could have gotten an awesome rowhouse or penthouse with incredible views for that price and with more square footage!

1. UnoTres said at 11:22 am on Wednesday September 26, 2012:

I’m wondering if the new owners have “plans” for this….

1. Sean Ganey said at 2:37 pm on Wednesday September 26, 2012:

I walked this while it was on the market.  It is a really great idea and has great potential.  The finishes were a little on the low end and the attention to detail lacking but in concept I loved it.  I hope they enjoy the home!  By the way, I still say they will need to add a guard rail on the roof if they plan to use it as a place to hang out…its a long drop to the alley!

1. SC said at 2:38 pm on Wednesday September 26, 2012:

That is highly confidential information.  This should not be released prior to closing.  Whoever leaked this to the media if it was a real estate agent was either highly unprofessional or not very smart if they were a Buyer or Seller.  This is an article that should be written after the closing.  Reporting information such as this prior to a deal closing is and embarrassment to the real estate community and to Urban Turf.

1. Mark Wellborn said at 2:42 pm on Wednesday September 26, 2012:

SC,

In fact, we did wait to publish this article until the deal closed. It closed on Tuesday afternoon and we published the article Tuesday night.

Thanks,

Mark Wellborn

1. Yikes said at 2:58 pm on Wednesday September 26, 2012:

Jeez SC, maybe you should check your facts and take a deep breath.  I went to the open house, thought it was way cooler as similarly sized condos that sell for that much, so I’m not surprised.  I heard that the buyer was not even the high bidder but all cash no contingencies sealed the deal.  and obviously it closed in record time.  happy for all involved

1. anon said at 3:02 pm on Wednesday September 26, 2012:

SC, what are you talking about?? It closed! Yikes. Calm down.

1. mona said at 3:06 pm on Wednesday September 26, 2012:

I know everyone says it is overpriced but if the price was 160k over the asking then guess what…that is the price. Would I have paid that for it? I don’t know if I was rolling in the cash and really loved it sure, why not.

1. jackson said at 3:08 pm on Wednesday September 26, 2012:

great point mona

1. Sierra said at 3:43 pm on Wednesday September 26, 2012:

@KTP, not sure why an awesome rowhouse or awesome penthouse is better than an awesome freestanding house—esp given that insane location (does it really get any better than 14 and Swann?).  The condos on 14th and R are selling for $800 per square foot so I dont think this is out of the question, espec since it is absolutely one of a kind.  i am totally jealous of the new buyer.

SC: in with the good light!

1. BobsChef said at 3:47 pm on Wednesday September 26, 2012:

Wow, that sale is gonna skew the stats for a while!  Totally agree with @mona, though.

1. Brian said at 1:17 pm on Thursday September 27, 2012:

Anybody know who did their green roof?  I’d love to do something similar but don’t really know where to start.

1. H Street LL said at 1:37 pm on Thursday September 27, 2012:

Yeah, a free standing house is great! Agree that penthouses are really desirable also.

I’m also interested in who did the roof.

1. Mark Wellborn said at 2:11 pm on Thursday September 27, 2012:

Brian and H Street LL,

The name of the company is Green Roof Canopy. If you shoot an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), I can send you their email.

Thanks,